Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Sky watcher evostar 72Ed Apo

gabs

48 minutes ago, Marmot said:

If your system relies on it all being level, you may find it more accurate by relying on a system other than the bubble level built into the mount. The bubble in the EQ 3-2 mount is very small, to the point of being hard to see and get an accurate read from.

I found the easiest way to get a perfectly level mount, is to remove the mount from my tripod, and use a spirit level across the top of the tripod. Getting the mount level across all 3 legs is relatively straightforward. Once done, if you use the same location for your scope, the legs shouldn't need adjusting again.

• Like 1

Not sure if the issue was the tripod not in level . I will try again until I find the right to proceed! Thank you 

1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I found the easiest way to get a perfectly level mount, is to remove the mount from my tripod, and use a spirit level across the top of the tripod. Getting the mount level across all 3 legs is relatively straightforward. Once done, if you use the same location for your scope, the legs shouldn't need adjusting again.

Great idea. So simple. I will remember that one. If you place the tripod in exactly the same position it will be polar aligned also (maybe just the finest adjustment required.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marmot said:

Great idea. So simple. I will remember that one. If you place the tripod in exactly the same position it will be polar aligned also (maybe just the finest adjustment required.)

The PA won't be far out. My scope is on a pad of concrete, I mark the position of the legs with chalk once I am aligned, but of course the rain washes that away.

2 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The PA won't be far out. My scope is on a pad of concrete, I mark the position of the legs with chalk once I am aligned, but of course the rain washes that away.

I think I found out why I didn’t get a good star alignment. I think I made a mistake when I set the time . I add an extra hour when I shouldn’t .. I will keep you posted once I tried again! 

2 minutes ago, gabs said:

I think I found out why I didn’t get a good star alignment. I think I made a mistake when I set the time . I add an extra hour when I shouldn’t .. I will keep you posted once I tried again! 

Yes, that wouldn't help with your star alignment, but it shouldn't make too much difference with polar alignment.

36 minutes ago, gabs said:

When I had a Go To system I couldn’t work out why everything was way off, until I realised that I needed to set it for BST (British summer time). The  differing hour makes a huge difference to where everything is. 

So I think you may be on the right track as to where the error is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marmot said:

When I had a Go To system I couldn’t work out why everything was way off, until I realised that I needed to set it for BST (British summer time). The  differing hour makes a huge difference to where everything is. 

So I think you may be on the right track as to where the error is.

Yes I think that was the issue.

the BST can make a big difference.

so if I am not wrong I shouldn’t add and additional hours when I set the time up. 

well it’s good to know for the next time.

It’s easy to make mistakes in this hobby. (Especially for me being relatively new to it all). Last week I set my scope up to look for a specific target. I completely forgot that my view through the scope reversed left and right and I spent an hour looking in completely the wrong place😄 (the wrong side of a star). But the views I had were beautiful all the same, they just weren’t the ones I was looking for😃. Time Is never wasted doing stuff as long as your glass is half full!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marmot said:

It’s easy to make mistakes in this hobby. (Especially for me being relatively new to it all). Last week I set my scope up to look for a specific target. I completely forgot that my view through the scope reversed left and right and I spent an hour looking in completely the wrong place😄 (the wrong side of a star). But the views I had were beautiful all the same, they just weren’t the ones I was looking for😃. Time Is never wasted doing stuff as long as your glass is half full!

I love that !  Brilliant!!!

• 10 months later...

I was out with my 72 last night. It's still my most used scope. I believe the camera rotator threads are compatible with the two earlier versions of the scope but it subtracts a centimetre of the in-focus. The rev #2 visual back is a centimetre shorter to compensate for this.

Edited by Nightspore