Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New Scope - Raptor 61

MarkAR

Something tells me that they won't be giving it away with packets of cornflakes!! ? It's  $999 so it will probably be a little over £1k by the time it gets over here.

• Like 1

That does look great. I just purchased the SA Pro mount and am looking for a great widefied lens to pair with my astro-modified Canon 600D as a grab and go rig. Have been considering the Redcat 51, so would be interesting to see some comparison reviews of those 2.

I think the main plus for the raptor over the redact and Askar would be the focuser. Plus also it comes with extra bits.

• Like 1

The consensus seems to be that it is just a rebranding of a Sharpstar 61, just with the focal reducer integrated and some extras to make it easier to use. Seems to me you can get the same scope for a lot less. Saying that it does look very pretty.

• Like 1

Interestingly it looks like TS also has a version of this which actually has FLP53 optics which is not mentioned in the specs for the Raptor which you would thought would be if it were used.

On the flipside I also think having an astroimaging scope that you can just pick up and go is always a good idea, having struggled with threads and backfocus and adapters etc.

• Like 1

Posted by: @Wyvern

Interestingly it looks like TS also has a version of this which actually has FLP53 optics

Just caught Cuiv the Geeks video and looks like it a rebrand but with different accessories. For the price I would expect FPL53 or better.

According to the latest Vid from Cuiv, it has the cherry pick of Sharpstars FPL53 glass. Certain parts re-designed and a top end auto focus as an add on.

Posted by: @MarkAR

According to the latest Vid from Cuiv, it has the cherry pick of Sharpstars FPL53 glass. Certain parts re-designed and a top end auto focus as an add on.

Just saw this. It's beyond me why they are not shouting this from the rooftops, My default position is that if they don't mention the glass type it's not fpl53.

• Like 1

Posted by: @Wyvern
Posted by: @MarkAR

Just saw this. It's beyond me why they are not shouting this from the rooftops, My default position is that if they don't mention the glass type it's not fpl53.

Very strange really, I would have thought that would be one of the main selling points.

Seeing a lot of "Vanilla" Scopes and cameras recently, same specs and features that then just get a rebrand and a splash of colour and are supposed to be the next best thing and people believe it and part with their money

• Like 1

I agree with you there. Like this scope, it's basically a halfway decent budget scope with a makeover to make it what it should have been in the first place. Although that takes it out of the budget market.

I mentioned on another forum that I personally would not buy this scope as the manufacturer is, as yet, an unproven maker and I don't believe there are any UK dealers for Radian or support. That may well change but if I was in the market for a small aperture portable scope then the WO Redcat 51 is the one for me - despite the long waiting list. Most of my scopes are William Optics and red so I may be biased.

• Like 1