Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

RedCat 51 or DayStar Solar Scout (or both)?

TerryMcK

I'm a big fan of WilliamOptics having a few of their scopes already and fancy the RedCat51 for wider field views. Although recently I have become interested in Ha solar and the DayStar Solar Scout SS60-DS 60mm H-alpha Solar Telescope has taken my fancy.

Ultimately I will get the RedCat for normal imaging and to take out in the field, literally, but in the meantime while the nights are short and the days are long does anybody have any experience with the Scout 60?

Similarly priced but admittedly they do far different jobs.

On the Scout I see has a helical focuser so the prospect of automation is not on the cards unless somebody knows of an add-on focuser. I don't want a Lunt 50 as it is twice the price.

5 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I'm a big fan of WilliamOptics having a few of their scopes already and fancy the RedCat51 for wider field views. Although recently I have become interested in Ha solar and the DayStar Solar Scout SS60-DS 60mm H-alpha Solar Telescope has taken my fancy.

Ultimately I will get the RedCat for normal imaging and to take out in the field, literally, but in the meantime while the nights are short and the days are long does anybody have any experience with the Scout 60?

Similarly priced but admittedly they do far different jobs.

On the Scout I see has a helical focuser so the prospect of automation is not on the cards unless somebody knows of an add-on focuser. I don't want a Lunt 50 as it is twice the price.

The RedCat has been on my wishlist for a while, but other priorities came first. I like the RedCat becuse it can be fully automated at relative cheap cost by using the DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser, or better still you can purchase a conversation kit for an existing ZWO EAF from the same company at RVO.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/deep-sky-dad-eaf-mount-for-william-optics-redcatspacecat.html

Redcat is more versatile, I suppose you can use it for solar as well.

Maybe both is the better option.

Edited by MarkAR

The beauty of the solar scout scope is it has the Ha Quark built in so nothing else to add. It is also 930mm focal length F15.5 as opposed to the RedCat which is 250 and F4.9

However, as you rightly say, the RedCat is much more versatile and the Scout is a one trick pony.

Decisions decisions.

Start with the Redcat, when you've got your solar routing sorted with that then get the Scout. 

Or save time and delays and get both now.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve decided upon the RedCat as it can have the DeepSky Dad autofocuser kit attached. So it is ordered and I just have to wait for delivery. William Optics won the day again.

WO Fanboi.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

Look what just arrived 😀

739CC153-7AD3-4EF3-B397-2D60989E5B9C.thumb.jpeg.cba9b189b7a687c40c544b90369ce056.jpeg

A20899F1-38EF-42D8-A612-BD936ABC7FE6.thumb.jpeg.3095dc8e7c41cc803b98bad95b6269c4.jpeg

It's a rainmaker! 😁

Looks good, did you get the autofocuser with it too?

No that is next on the list. I also want a large Primaluce Losmandy Side by Side plus to mount the ZS73 and the RedCat simultaneously. It will give me quite a few options having those scopes on at the same time.

• Like 1

It turns out that Deep Sky Dad also make a focuser for the Solar Scout 60 too so that moves the Scout onto the want list too. However I need a few more pennies in the piggy bank.

It has to be said that a scope in that colour really makes a statement!

A nice looking bit of kit🙂

I received my new Redcat on Monday and as you say it is pleasantly heavy. Hope to get the DSD AF3 today and plan to have in in the rig his weekend. 🤗 What camera are you planning to use in your setup?

I’m using the ZWO ASI183 MM and MC in the RedCat as it comes well in the Astronomy Tools CCD Suitability calculator. In fact the 183 works out great for all my WO scopes. 

I was intending to use the Asi 2600 which gives 3.1”x3.1” but have also been considering the 183 which gives an ideal 2”x2” . I assume you will swap out the M&C cameras during the imaging run.

It depends which target I will be shooting as to whether I use the OSC or the mono.

I wouldn’t necessarily swap cameras in the same session but it might be interesting to shoot broadband on a large target for a night or two with the OSC and next time shoot Ha with the mono to add to the image.

Having had a solar scope i was raely able to image/view sun a7-8 am in the morning when its best seeing. And having had a Redcat51 for a while its magnificent i bought it with the money i got for the solar scope , and would never go back , no flattener needed as built in and all the reviews i have seen say its probably the best 250mm scope in the world! and the Helical focus is just peachy.

HTH 

Roger.

https://www.diyphotography.net/this-250mm-f-4-9-lens-is-the-worlds-sharpest-and-has-interchangeable-camera-mounts/

Edited by ApophisAstros
missed name.
  • Like 1

Just checked out Deepsy dad and not sure if they have them in stock and you dont get a power cable with it, have emailed with questions..

Roger