Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

It's Arrived!!

Scopeman

Hi all,

My new EQ6R Pro arrived the day before yesterday, lovely piece of kit and so quiet too! I already upgraded the saddle to the ADM. Not too enammered with the sprung loaded altitude bolt, so if anyone knows where I get get an upgraded one please let me know? Here's a few pics with the SW102 refractor on it, can't wait to get the Mak 180 on it but as usual the weather took a downturn, lol......

IMG_20210724_182418861.jpg

IMG_20210725_132845774.jpg

IMG_20210725_142737579.jpg

IMG_20210725_142748821.jpg

IMG_20210725_142856746.jpg

• Like 3

Nice one 👍

Extension column is good idea too.

Edited by MarkAR
  • Like 1

Nice.

I have often thought about getting an extension column for my HEQ5 for when I use my longest scope, but they only seem to sell a really really long one.  One the height you have is what I am looking for.

Where did you buy yours?

Carole 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 3:58 PM, Carastro said:

Nice.

I have often thought about getting an extension column for my HEQ5 for when I use my longest scope, but they only seem to sell a really really long one.  One the height you have is what I am looking for.

Where did you buy yours?

Carole 

There is this at APM

12 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Thanks, but I have an HEQ5.

Carole 

I actually have the HEQ5 Pro extension Carole. It adds 16” to the height of the mount which may be a little too high for you. But on the positive side I have not had any scope clouts since fitting it. Maybe if they had one that was 8” long too it may have been ideal for you.

I don’t know of any third party making a shorter pier extension for the HEQ5 unfortunately.

Maybe a local engineering firm may be able to make you one as it is a very simple tube with a couple of detachable ends held in with hex screws.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I actually have the HEQ5 Pro extension Carole. It adds 16” to the height of the mount which may be a little too high for you. But on the positive side I have not had any scope clouts since fitting it. Maybe if they had one that was 8” long too it may have been ideal for you.

I don’t know of any third party making a shorter pier extension for the HEQ5 unfortunately.

Maybe a local engineering firm may be able to make you one as it is a very simple tube with a couple of detachable ends held in with hex screws.

Yes I feel 16" is too high and will be too unstable for Astrophotography.  As you say 8" would be the height I am looking for.  I wonder why they make a shorter one for the EQ6 which is more stable due to it's weight but not for the HEQ5?

Carole 

It isn't unstable in my experience for AP. I keep the tripod at its lowest setting (shortest legs etc.) to keep the centre of gravity down and it is fine. Putting my largest heavy scope on with its guider attached is a bit of a stretch but quite doable. SW are shooting themselves in the foot though as an 8" pier extension would be ideal.

1 hour ago, Carastro said:

Yes I feel 16" is too high and will be too unstable for Astrophotography.  As you say 8" would be the height I am looking for.  I wonder why they make a shorter one for the EQ6 which is more stable due to it's weight but not for the HEQ5?

Carole 

Check this out Carole. It's a 21cm extension from China. The models covered are all the popular Skywatcher models, including the HEQ5. Price is £66 + £25 postage.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002120147456.html?algo_pvid=9f21c6ac-192c-4d61-bab0-5e7bb843c666&algo_exp_id=9f21c6ac-192c-4d61-bab0-5e7bb843c666-0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carastro said:

Thanks, but I have an HEQ5.

Carole 

Oh right, sorry. 

I have had one for four years and absolutely love it , the guiding is absolutely accurate , a screenshot of my last imaging run, lost the stars with clouds but the Statistics box at bottom says how good the mount still is

PHD2_GuideLog_2021-06-23_200955.txti have attached phdlogview.exe , its essentila for seeing how your guiding has gone. I wouldnt touch the habdset as i have always controlled the mount with EQmod? ascom as its so easy coosing targets with a planetarium software , i use Cartes Du Ciel which works great.

HTH

Roger

NB.If any questions about the mount PM me and if i can i'll help.

phdlogview.exe

10 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Check this out Carole. It's a 21cm extension from China. The models covered are all the popular Skywatcher models, including the HEQ5. Price is £66 + £25 postage.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002120147456.html?algo_pvid=9f21c6ac-192c-4d61-bab0-5e7bb843c666&algo_exp_id=9f21c6ac-192c-4d61-bab0-5e7bb843c666-0

Great find Brian, but I wonder how much it would cost by the time you have shipped to the UK and the customs duties  (been caught out by that before).  If they can sell it in the US why can't they sell it here.

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Great find Brian, but I wonder how much it would cost by the time you have shipped to the UK and the customs duties  (been caught out by that before).  If they can sell it in the US why can't they sell it here.

Carole 

From what I gather, there are no customs duty on goods valued less than £135. VAT may be payable though, which would add another 19 to the total. This might explain it better.

https://alixblog.com/en/aliexpress-customs/

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:33 AM, TerryMcK said:

If that's the case then I could cut one down and drill holes easily.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:58 PM, Carastro said:

Nice.

Where did you buy yours?

Carole 

Hi Carole,

Got this one from First Light Optics

• Like 1