Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

m15

gabs

Hi, just finished to stack 30 exposures of the M15 at 200 sec each.+ bias , dark and flat frames

I like to see how many stars can be caught in the image.

As usual please feel free to comment!

m15.thumb.jpg.ab5bf0595038c04cb039b15a6e094534.jpg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, PeterBolt said:

Nice, I do like a cluster!

I like it too .

it can be easy  target for beginner I hope to do more ! 

thank you!

• Like 1

Very nice! That's a real success. The stars look very sharp to my eyes at least, and you've managed to control any LP gradient.

One thing I would say is that your background is black whereas you really want it to be dark gray with some small dynamic range. Make sure you're not clipping your black points (left-hand side of the histogram) when you're stretching.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

Very nice! That's a real success. The stars look very sharp to my eyes at least, and you've managed to control any LP gradient.

One thing I would say is that your background is black whereas you really want it to be dark gray with some small dynamic range. Make sure you're not clipping your black points (left-hand side of the histogram) when you're stretching.

Thank you very much for advise and comment! 🙂 every little progress means a lot to me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gabs said:

Hi, just finished to stack 30 exposures of the M15 at 200 sec each.+ bias , dark and flat frames

I like to see how many stars can be caught in the image.

As usual please feel free to comment!

Your stars are looking very good. Maybe your exposure time is a little high, the core of the galaxy is blown.

4 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Your stars are looking very good. Maybe your exposure time is a little high, the core of the galaxy is blown.

Thanks !

Yes I like the stars around the core in the cluster itself can be improved a bit.

2 minutes ago, gabs said:

Thanks !

Yes I like the stars around the core in the cluster itself can be improved a bit.

When you see no colour in your stars, it usually means they are blown, or overstretched.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

When you see no colour in your stars, it usually means they are blown, or overstretched.

My knowledge of GIMP needs to be improved a lot.

So I keep practising until I achieve a good result. I hope soon! 

9 minutes ago, gabs said:

My knowledge of GIMP needs to be improved a lot.

So I keep practising until I achieve a good result. I hope soon! 

I know nothing about Gimp at all, except it's free. 😀

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I know nothing about Gimp at all, except it's free. 😀

That is why I am using it! 

• Like 1

Well done Gabs, the stars are beautifully round.  I forgot to mention when I was giving your advice about length of exposures that you don't need 300secs with star clusters.  Getting the core of globular clusters right is tricky for a beginner, and needs gentle processing in layers really to keep the core from burning out, and/or exposures of shorter length combined for the core.

Carole  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Well done Gabs, the stars are beautifully round.  I forgot to mention when I was giving your advice about length of exposures that you don't need 300secs with star clusters.  Getting the core of globular clusters right is tricky for a beginner, and needs gentle processing in layers really to keep the core from burning out, and/or exposures of shorter length combined for the core.

Carole  

Thanks Carole I will do next time! 

A nice start for a globular, well worth experimenting with exposure times and combining say 60s for cores with 120s for the fainter stars. Will depend a lot on the magnitude of the cluster as to what times are best for your set up.

• Like 1