Jump to content

m15


gabs
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, just finished to stack 30 exposures of the M15 at 200 sec each.+ bias , dark and flat frames

 

I like to see how many stars can be caught in the image.

 

As usual please feel free to comment!



m15.thumb.jpg.ab5bf0595038c04cb039b15a6e094534.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice! That's a real success. The stars look very sharp to my eyes at least, and you've managed to control any LP gradient.

One thing I would say is that your background is black whereas you really want it to be dark gray with some small dynamic range. Make sure you're not clipping your black points (left-hand side of the histogram) when you're stretching.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

Very nice! That's a real success. The stars look very sharp to my eyes at least, and you've managed to control any LP gradient.

One thing I would say is that your background is black whereas you really want it to be dark gray with some small dynamic range. Make sure you're not clipping your black points (left-hand side of the histogram) when you're stretching.

Thank you very much for advise and comment! 🙂 every little progress means a lot to me!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gabs said:

Hi, just finished to stack 30 exposures of the M15 at 200 sec each.+ bias , dark and flat frames

 

I like to see how many stars can be caught in the image.

 

As usual please feel free to comment!

Your stars are looking very good. Maybe your exposure time is a little high, the core of the galaxy is blown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Your stars are looking very good. Maybe your exposure time is a little high, the core of the galaxy is blown.

Thanks !

 

Yes I like the stars around the core in the cluster itself can be improved a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

When you see no colour in your stars, it usually means they are blown, or overstretched.

My knowledge of GIMP needs to be improved a lot.

So I keep practising until I achieve a good result. I hope soon! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done Gabs, the stars are beautifully round.  I forgot to mention when I was giving your advice about length of exposures that you don't need 300secs with star clusters.  Getting the core of globular clusters right is tricky for a beginner, and needs gentle processing in layers really to keep the core from burning out, and/or exposures of shorter length combined for the core.

 

Carole  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Well done Gabs, the stars are beautifully round.  I forgot to mention when I was giving your advice about length of exposures that you don't need 300secs with star clusters.  Getting the core of globular clusters right is tricky for a beginner, and needs gentle processing in layers really to keep the core from burning out, and/or exposures of shorter length combined for the core.

 

Carole  

Thanks Carole I will do next time! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A nice start for a globular, well worth experimenting with exposure times and combining say 60s for cores with 120s for the fainter stars. Will depend a lot on the magnitude of the cluster as to what times are best for your set up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...