Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Hey there from Florida's Treasure Coast

BigRobMartin

My name is Rob Martin. I'm an avid amateur astrophotographer, and not a terribly good one. I'm old and set in my ways, and learning new tech is insanely frustrating. I'm struggling with the basics, but keep spending money on fancy doodads like it will fix my particular brand of stupid.

I still do widefield with low power primes and Canon DSLRs, a Skywatcher Star Adventurer 2i and small tracking scope, but I'm also trying to figure out my bigger rig as well.

Apertura 72edr / 1.0 flattener (Great little scope for the $)

Meade LX85 mount (infuriating!)

Altair Hyper 183c (can't figure gain/offset settings out to save my life)

ZWO ASI120mc guide cam 

SVBONY 40x120mm mini guide scope (meh...it works and its suuuper cheap)

AstroPhotographyTool (when it works)

Altair Capture sometimes (frustrating)

PHD2 (I changed something and now its not pushing the mount)

I also run a CLS filter for most everything, and an Optilong L Extreme with no light on it yet while I get the basics figured out.

I am a Process Piping and Industrial Plumber/Pipefitter, Steam fitter, Boiler tech with a heavy engineering background and a bunch of years doing power plants and industrial chemical plant piping. I've taken a few certificate courses in introductions to and various specialties of astronomy. I'm a former strength athlete (strongman and powerlifting) and currently do just enough to stay active.

20210722_204049.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Rob, welcome to the forum. There are many people on here who can help you with any issues you may have.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Rob. Sorry to hear you are having teething troubles but I hope we can help out to get you up and running.

• Like 1

Hi, Rob...Have you tried getting in touch with the Treasure Coast Astronomical Society?  There's plenty of people here who are happy to help you, but sometimes there's no substitute for some person saying "That mount is really good once you've replaced the grease with something more suitable to Canadian winters.  The  stuff designed for California that it comes with just doesn't cut it when it's -30C ...mind if I show you how to do it?"

I also like going to meetings of astronomy clubs if I'm in the area.  I've been a member of mine for over 50 years, so it's great to see how other organisations work.   It's also a lot of fun to just drop by and see the reaction when you sign the guest book!

Roger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 11:29 PM, SeawayObsy said:

Hi, Rob...Have you tried getting in touch with the Treasure Coast Astronomical Society?  There's plenty of people here who are happy to help you, but sometimes there's no substitute for some person saying "That mount is really good once you've replaced the grease with something more suitable to Canadian winters.  The  stuff designed for California that it comes with just doesn't cut it when it's -30C ...mind if I show you how to do it?"

I also like going to meetings of astronomy clubs if I'm in the area.  I've been a member of mine for over 50 years, so it's great to see how other organisations work.   It's also a lot of fun to just drop by and see the reaction when you sign the guest book!

Roger

I have recently began attending meetings and making connections within the club. I have known a few of them for a bit. Highly recommended!