Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

PHD2 not pushing my mount

BigRobMartin

The last 2 sessions I was out, I had problems when starting phd2. I have not changed any settings that I am aware of, but both times, the guiding would fail to initiate (star would not move enough). Tried restarting, checking wires, everything I could think of. Anyone know a silly quirk that everyone but me knows about?

ASI 120mc (not mini), Meade LX85 mount, Using ZWO cables, phd2 using multi star. Guiding from camera to mount direct (I know I should do it thru the software, but I'm not there yet...baby steps).

Thanks for any help you can offer!

That sometimes is a sign that darks are not engaged and PHD2 is locking onto a hot pixel. Try rebuilding the darks library Rob.

• Like 1

I'll try both...Went out last night to the same issue. Multi star guiding and when I hit the green button, the yellow lines and then "RA Calibration Failed:  star did not move enough" after 5 minutes or so.

Thanks folks!

17 hours ago, BigRobMartin said:

ASI 120mc (not mini), Meade LX85 mount, Using ZWO cables, phd2 using multi star. Guiding from camera to mount direct (I know I should do it thru the software, but I'm not there yet...baby steps).

I wouldn't place too much faith in the ZWO usb cables, they are not good quality. It might be better to swap them for better quality cables.

Only the st4 cable is ZWO, all of my usb3 cables are high(er) quality aftermarket cables. The only other st4 cable I have is an Altair that came with my 183cpro. I'll try it first, then start looking for a higher quality replacement.

Thanks!

On 10/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, BigRobMartin said:

I'll try both...Went out last night to the same issue. Multi star guiding and when I hit the green button, the yellow lines and then "RA Calibration Failed:  star did not move enough" after 5 minutes or so.

Thanks folks!

Classic case of picking a hot pixel. Either that or something really screwy is going on.

17 hours ago, BigRobMartin said:

Only the st4 cable is ZWO, all of my usb3 cables are high(er) quality aftermarket cables. The only other st4 cable I have is an Altair that came with my 183cpro. I'll try it first, then start looking for a higher quality replacement.

Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with ST4, hook up the guide cam via usb to a hub or direct to computer. Pulse guiding this way is better.

18 hours ago, BigRobMartin said:

Thanks!

Got to agree with Mark, pulse guiding is the way to go. It's far more accurate than ST4 guiding. Just select Pulse Guiding in the EQMod toolbox, then set your pulse guide rate to 0.5 or 0.9 in EQmod, you might have to experiment with this setting. A new profile will be needed in PHD2 also.

I will try pulse guiding for sure, but I seem to be having stupid issues right now. I'm still trying to figure out camera settings on my new astro camera and having fits with it. The guiding has always worked for me, so right now I just want to make it work while I figure out everything else...then I'll revisit it. I've been getting fairly frustrated lately, so I want to stick with one change at a time rather than trying to learn several new procedures at the same time.

As for a hot pixel, it was my first thought as well, but I could take it in and out of focus. I even forced it on another star and retried...no go. 

20211002_220651~2[302].jpg

Can you post a screenshot of your settings under the guiding tab on PHD2? I think that's where you problem might lie.

31 minutes ago, BigRobMartin said:

20211007_175337.jpg

I can see a problem. Your minimum star HFD is set to zero, meaning you can guide on a hot pixel. Set it to 2 or 3 pixels, that way it can't guide on a hot pixel.

What's your scope/lens? Is your focal length really 120mm?

Edit: OK ignore me, I got it from another post - SVBONY 40x120mm mini guide scope - so yes focal length is 120mm!

Edited by Padraic M

Update...changed the cable, redid my dark library and set Minimum Star HFD to 2...guiding like a champ! Thanks for the help!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BigRobMartin said:

Update...changed the cable, redid my dark library and set Minimum Star HFD to 2...guiding like a champ! Thanks for the help!

Good news, that's one problem out of the way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Good news, that's one problem out of the way.

Soooo happy.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 1:09 AM, BigRobMartin said:

The last 2 sessions I was out, I had problems when starting phd2. I have not changed any settings that I am aware of, but both times, the guiding would fail to initiate (star would not move enough). Tried restarting, checking wires, everything I could think of. Anyone know a silly quirk that everyone but me knows about?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hi Rob

I had this the other day after much success with PHD2.

I reloaded APT, PHD2, Ascom drivers, ZWO camera drivers. It was driving me mental.

I did some internet exploration and instead of using the ZWO ST4 or Skywatcher Ascom drivers I switched PHD2 to ON-Camera.

Problem solved!

I was using on camera guiding as well, but I think mine was a combination of bad st-4 cable and corrupted dark library. I thought it may have been a hot pixel as suggested, but the star it was trying to guide on DID move when I slewed the mount a bit. Glad I got it figured out. Just ordered a new guide cam and scope for the 72EDR, though. I'm moving the 30mm and 120 to my tracker along with my Samyang 135 and stepping up to a 50mm scope and 174 camera. Here we go again!🤪

• 2 weeks later...

I found an even better solution the other day

I connect through to my SkyWatcher EQ6 mount through the app Synscan Pro, when I connect PHD2 through the Synscan app driver it works seamlessly and very accurately.

Do check your cables are good as Rob said though.

Regards

Derek