Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Primary mirror aperture mask

PeterBolt

2 hours ago, PeterBolt said:

I've just fitted this mask to my primary mirror...I am hoping it will improve my star shape.  Does anyone else use one?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p12360_Wega-Primary-Mirror-Baffle-for-Skywatcher-8--Newtonians.html

20211007_134630.thumb.jpg.ce0b3d42e4efc633d1b9f149161cdb1e.jpg

I didn't even know they existed. I hope it sorts your problems out.

• Like 1

The 130pds is notorious for flaring round the stars lots of people fit one to that scope,I myself will be fitting one to my 130pds very soon as I’ve just ordered from the same company obviously the 130pds version

Edited by Craig a
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Craig a said:

The 130pds is notorious for flaring round the stars lots of people fit one to that scope,I myself will be fitting one to my 130pds very soon as I’ve just ordered from the same company obviously the 130pds version

Just to let you know that I had to buy slightly longer screws (m4x25) otherwise the clips were pinching the mirror. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M2-5-M3-M4-M5-M6-Socket-Button-Head-Screws-10-9-High-Tensile-Black-Allen-Bolts-/273341455760?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The mask was delivered in about 4 days and I didn't have to pay any import tax 😃

Edited by PeterBolt

55 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I didn't even know they existed. I hope it sorts your problems out.

Seems like a good solution for not a lot of money 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PeterBolt said:

Seems like a good solution for not a lot of money 🤞🤞🤞

Not often you can say that about astro gear. 😁

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 2

I already have a ton of stainless m4 screws of various lengths ready for the job 👍

if it does a good job I may order one to fit to my skywatcher 10 inch f4 Newtonian 

Edited by Craig a
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Craig a said:

I already have a ton of stainless m4 screws of various lengths ready for the job 👍

if it does a good job I may order one to fit to my skywatcher 10 inch f4 Newtonian 

Good luck!  Just need some clear skies now 😂

I'm interested to see how it works out. My Bresser is pretty good now I shortened the focuser, reducing some of the asymteric flares would be a nice tweak. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paul said:

I'm interested to see how it works out. My Bresser is pretty good now I shortened the focuser, reducing some of the asymteric flares would be a nice tweak. 

It works by blocking the very edge of the primary mirror from the turned down edge that causes light to scatter causing flaring on brighter stars 

• Like 1