Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

m31 with SiriL and GIMP

gabs

that is my first attempt using SiriL for staking and preprocessing imaging.

The starts were removed using Starnet and add them back once I processed the galaxy itself

these is a result of 30 no. 330 sec exposure with a DSLR and quadband clip filter.

Comments are welcome , as usual.

m31.jpg

Edited by gabs
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gabs said:

that is my first attempt using SiriL for staking and preprocessing imaging.

The starts were removed using Starnet and add them back once I processed the galaxy itself

these is a result of 30 no. 330 sec exposure with a DSLR and quadband clip filter.

Comments are welcome , as usual.

m31.jpg

The galaxy is definately showing through, good job. Try to keep your colour noise down, I don't how to do that in Gimp, but I'm sure there will be some settings for it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The galaxy is definately showing through, good job. Try to keep your colour noise down, I don't how to do that in Gimp, but I'm sure there will be some settings for it.

Hi Brian, thanks for your comment.

there is a RGB noise reduction filter which I used in the attached image, however it doesn't seem to improve a lot.

I am happy with what I got anyway considering i have never used SiriL and it seems easier to preprocessing the images.

I have also managed to take some exposure on the M39 open cluster bit boring target but full of stars 🙂

m31 rev a.jpg

m39.jpg

Edited by gabs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gabs said:

Hi Brian, thanks for your comment.

there is a RGB noise reduction filter which I used in the attached image, however it doesn't seem to improve a lot.

I am happy with what I got anyway considering i have never used SiriL and it seems easier to preprocessing the images.

I have also managed to take some exposure on the M39 open cluster bit boring target but full of stars 🙂

m31 rev a.jpg

m39.jpg

M39 looks good. Remove the gradient and it will look even better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

M39 looks good. Remove the gradient and it will look even better.

Thanks you!

I will try again !

Good effort Gabs, seeing the outer regions of M31 but it's quite grainy, almost as if it's been over sharpened.

M39 looks good, not sure what the squiggly dark patch near the centre is.

• Like 1

My how you have come on Gabs since purchasing your EQmount and getting to grips with guiding.  That's a great result for someone at your early stage of imaging.  There looks to be some sort of error with the flats at the top left of the galaxy.  

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Carastro said:

My how you have come on Gabs since purchasing your EQmount and getting to grips with guiding.  That's a great result for someone at your early stage of imaging.  There looks to be some sort of error with the flats at the top left of the galaxy.  

Carole 

8 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Good effort Gabs, seeing the outer regions of M31 but it's quite grainy, almost as if it's been over sharpened.

M39 looks good, not sure what the squiggly dark patch near the centre is.

Thank you both !

yes definitely everything can be improve in both images but to my early stage I am happy to see these kind of result.

I guess something not quite right happens with the calibration frames.

I am thinking to get a light box to do proper flat frames I am using a laptop screen with white light on.

so moving forward there should be an improvement!

26 minutes ago, gabs said:

Thank you both !

yes definitely everything can be improve in both images but to my early stage I am happy to see these kind of result.

I guess something not quite right happens with the calibration frames.

I am thinking to get a light box to do proper flat frames I am using a laptop screen with white light on.

so moving forward there should be an improvement!

You don't need to buy a dedicated light box, you can make your own very cheaply from an Led light panel like this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Entweg-Copyboard-Dimmable-Brightness-Painting/dp/B08HVCBMX8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=led+tracing+panel&qid=1634323543&qsid=258-6985037-0409705&sr=8-1&sres=B08HVCBMX8%2CB07SB3CLHH%2CB08GPHLF77%2CB07SRZ4L44%2CB08M9HWW76%2CB08FSWXYTX%2CB08ZXXLWLK%2CB07NYPHX23%2CB08J7YH12B%2CB07B93R956%2CB08K4MVK1B%2CB086D7S75Q%2CB08HQ3PMMK%2CB0875WXDMF%2CB0748CY5CP%2CB07V7FC9KZ%2CB08TMRTD11%2CB0787V2GC1%2CB07GJBF4P3%2CB08K4MZF2K

Here is mine made from a similar panel.

FlatBox.thumb.jpg.da9e83c55a59ec905c6e38372362ddb9.jpg

• Like 1