Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

EQ6R Pro Help Needed

Scopeman

Hi,

Has anyone replaced the altitude bolt that comes with the SW EQ^R Pro at all and if so where did you get it from?

Cheers,

Andy.

39 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Hi,

Has anyone replaced the altitude bolt that comes with the SW EQ^R Pro at all and if so where did you get it from?

Cheers,

Andy.

I don't have the EQ6 R, but I have the EQ6 Pro, which has the same useless alt bolt. I replaced the bolt with an Allen head bolt, which takes an 8mm allen wrench, it's not ideal, but beats the standard bolt hands down, and you only use it once a session.

6 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Can you give me the details of what you have got please?

Here is my alt bolt. It's just a normal hex head bolt. Mine is 70mm long and is an M10 thread. The head takes an 8mm Allen wrench. I just polar align then remove the Allen wrench, then proceed with my session, it works like a charm.

DSC_0282.jpg

22 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

The bolt on mine looks quite a bit thicker than yours tbh, added an image

243203815_10220989737637493_1627295170183928411_n.jpg

Maybe yours is an M12. Which are ready available too.

I replaced my HEQ5 bolts with M10 x 70 hex head bolts which you use a normal spanner with. They work really well. The length is ideal for the UK at 53ish degrees with plenty thread left. Make sure you buy them threaded all the way with no plain portion under the hex head.

Probably exactly the same thread diameter in the EQ6

Edited by TerryMcK
was M12
  • Like 1

Thanks Terry, ironically the older NEQ6 Pro's diameter is actually smaller, is the HEQ5 is as large as the EQ6R Pro? 

12 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Thanks Terry, ironically the older NEQ6 Pro's diameter is actually smaller, is the HEQ5 is as large as the EQ6R Pro? 

The EQ6 is 10mm. I found an alternative here. All that is needed is a piece of threaded rod the same thread pitch.

https://www.wdscomponents.com/en-gb/aluminium-hand-knob-with-polished-finish-female-thread-wds-8172/c-389/p-41228/v-41234

24 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I replaced my HEQ5 bolts with M12 x 70 hex head bolts which you use a normal spanner with. They work really well. The length is ideal for the UK at 53ish degrees with plenty thread left. Make sure you buy them threaded all the way with no plain portion under the hex head.

Probably exactly the same thread diameter in the EQ6

The EQ6 is a 10mm Terry, probably why they bend so easily. I replaced mine with a toughened steel bolt, never had any problems at all. SW must have known about this fault, but still don't resolve it.

Actually should have said M10x70 my bad (to be down with the kids) just double checked. I got stainless steel ones.

• Like 1

Hi Terry, I read tonight that it is an M12 size? My mount is the EQ6R Pro and not the EQ6 or NEQ6Pro, they are M10

Edited by Scopeman

I was referring to my HEQ5Pro which when I double checked is M10. Either way if the EQ6R pro is M12 then it may be a good idea measuring how far the SW screws are inside of the mount for your latitude and then buying hex screws of similar length to replace them with.

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 5:25 PM, Scopeman said:

Hi,

Cheers,

Andy.

I replaced mine with one from deepskydad. Not sure if you’ve already sorted a solution (as I’m replying to this a long time after!), but it has made PA SO much easier than that horrible ratchet thing! 

https://shop.deepskydad.com/product/skywatcher-eq6-r-pro-altitude-adjustment-knob-replacement/

71067861-5FE4-4447-8A94-70CDD38766B9.png

I have updated mine on the cheap like Terry McK with some stainless steel hex head bolts. I own the NEQ6 PRO, and it uses the M10 which uses an M10 x 70 on the front and I opted for an M10 x 100 for the rear one as the 70 mm I feel may not be long enough. Not only that, but I am using a 17 mm ratchet spanner to set the bolts, but the ones SW fit are fine for visual usage, but now I need accuracy for the polar align for imaging they were not holding steady and ended up flexing and causing wobble on the scope. I also rounded the end of the bolt to a bullet shape to stop it creating a sharp edge that could crack the casting by being off centre when the pressure is applied. 

I would upgrade your EQ6 R to M12 x ??? After measuring them firstly you will see a marked difference and the cost is less than £8. Failing that, you can buy upgrade kits, but they are not that cheap for what is basically parts from office chairs.

Edited by Cumbrianwolf