Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Pleades

Mirrorgirl

Hi

I took a load of images on this target but they would not stack in deep sky....or pixinsight.....so I was just working on the one image....can anybody give me any advice on how to bring out details about more...this image was a 30 second exposure,,.....,.

rhodas pleades.jpg

Try to sort out your stacking if you can. Its going to be a challenge to see much with 30 seconds but load the image in to Pixinsight, and then use the Histogram Transformation process. Have a look at this clip: 

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Hi

I took a load of images on this target but they would not stack in deep sky....or pixinsight.....so I was just working on the one image....can anybody give me any advice on how to bring out details about more...this image was a 30 second exposure,,.....,.

rhodas pleades.jpg

What error message was you getting in Pixinsight? Was you using the WBPP or manually using image integration?

I'm afraid with a 30s image, you won't bring out more detail, the signal isn't there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul said:

Its going to be a challenge to see much with 30 seconds but load the image in to Pixinsight, and then use the Histogram Transformation process. I recommend you watch this clip: 

I would be more worried with Pixinsight not stacking the images, never come across that before. You can have problems registering the images, but once registered, stacking is usually a formality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mirrorgirl said:

It said I could not register the stars in pixinsight

I thought it might have something to do with registration. Star alignment is probably not detecting enough stars to register the images. The ransac tolerance needs increasing. See the image below. Set the tolerance to 6 or 8.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.874cc624ae1fd339c2d4dc87783145dd.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

I will have a go and let you know..,....thanks

If you still have problems, increase the ransac iterations to 4000 and the descriptors to 60.

I put it up to eight in star alignment and I started stacking but it failed because only three stars were found :-[

OK increase the ransac iterations and the descriptors as described in my previous message. Also, open the star detection tab, and increase the detection scales to 6 or 7.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

OK increase the ransac iterations and the descriptors as described in my previous message. Also, open the star detection tab, and increase the detection scales to 6 or 7.

I'm doing everything you said I pushed it down to six this time and I altered everything else I will let you know the outcome shortly

Never worked only finding 3 stars error message coming up at end saying error registing light frames... I just don't know what to do the must be poor quality images ?

Never worked only finding 3 stars error message coming up at end saying error registing light frames... I just don't know what to do the must be poor quality images ?

What camera are you using?

26 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

What camera are you using?

Rebel t3i., I am just learning about guiding and i want to know how to enter 1 min onto my camon Rebel t3i have you any idea.,...then when I do a longer exposure I might have better results

Your focus might be out. Are you using a Bahtinov mask to focus or just doing it by eye?

Guessing you are from North America as you state Canon Rebel T3i. They are known as Canon EOS 600D in the UK.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Rebel t3i., I am just learning about guiding and i want to know how to enter 1 min onto my camon Rebel t3i have you any idea.,...then when I do a longer exposure I might have better results

You have to go into bulb mode, and need to connect your dslr to your aquisition software on your laptop. APT is good software for dslr's. The other solution is to buy an intervalometer for your camera. Then you can set exposure lengths without connecting to a PC.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Your focus might be out. Are you using a Bahtinov mask to focus or just doing it by eye?

Guessing you are from North America as you state Canon Rebel T3i. They are known as Canon EOS 600D in the UK.

You could be right Terry. There should be a lot more background stars visible, even with a 30s exposure.

8 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Why am I not getting slot of stars

If you are out of focus like Terry thinks, your background stars will just be a blur, and won't register. What software are you using to capture your images?

14 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

If you are out of focus like Terry thinks, your background stars will just be a blur, and won't register. What software are you using to capture your images?

No software to capture I just polar align and took 30 second exposure on my canon Rebel...and yes I don't no why I say Rebel because I'm from England lol

14 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

No software to capture I just polar align and took 30 second exposure on my canon Rebel...and yes I don't no why I say Rebel because I'm from England lol

If you want to get longer exposures I would suggest using APT on your laptop and connect your DSLR to it via usb. APT will also help you focus your telescope, and slew to objects.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:54 AM, AstronomyUkraine said:

If you want to get longer exposures I would suggest using APT on your laptop and connect your DSLR to it via usb. APT will also help you focus your telescope, and slew to objects.

Hi

Did another image today on same target and I was definitely in focus I can send a picture...but it's still saying the same thing..only three stars found there needs to be six?

29 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Hi

Did another image today on same target and I was definitely in focus I can send a picture...but it's still saying the same thing..only three stars found there needs to be six?

Are you calibrating and debayering your images before registering? A typical workflow for OSC data would be as follows.

ImageCalibration with Master Calibration frames

CosmeticCorrection

DeBayer (OSC/DSLR only)

SubframeSelector

StarAlignment

ImageIntegration

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Are you calibrating and debayering your images before registering? A typical workflow for OSC data would be as follows.

ImageCalibration with Master Calibration frames

CosmeticCorrection

DeBayer (OSC/DSLR only)

SubframeSelector

StarAlignment

ImageIntegration

Thanks for that..I tried stacking in DSS and it stacked and found star's but the end image was rectangular shaped do you no how I can fix this?

2 hours ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Thanks for that..I tried stacking in DSS and it stacked and found star's but the end image was rectangular shaped do you no how I can fix this?

Can you upload the image on here? It's easier to see what the problem could be. If you are shooting through a dslr, the image should be rectangular.