Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Pleiades

Mirrorgirl

Hi

Here's my image I did with 30 seconds exposure..it's not great but I'm still learning it was stacked in DSS and then processed in pixinsight if anybody can help me get rid of some of the light pollution that would be great thanks 

pleades finished jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Hi

Here's my image I did with 30 seconds exposure..it's not great but I'm still learning it was stacked in DSS and then processed in pixinsight if anybody can help me get rid of some of the light pollution that would be great thanks 

Nice image! If you are using DSLR camera there are clip filter that allows you to remove the light pollution.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

For you know where I look for it on my camera it's a rebel t3i

I own a canon 1200d they are both EOs . At the link below you can find the clip filter I am using

https://www.altairastro.com/filters-22-c.asp

I can send you a separated message with pictures of the two filters I have bought for light pollution.

I hope the above helps

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Hi

The best way to remove light pollution is by using channel extract in Pixinsight to separate the individual RGB channels. Check which channel is furthest to the left in the histogram transformation, open Linear fit, use that channel as reference and apply to the other two channels. After that use DBE on the 3 channels to remove any gradients, if your images have vignetting, use the division in the correction setting, if they have a normal gradient, use the subtract setting. Re-combine the image in Channel combination, then process as normal. Be careful when stretching the image, the one you uploaded has serious clipping in the black, this will kill any fine detail in the image.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The best way to remove light pollution is by using channel extract in Pixinsight to separate the individual RGB channels. Check which channel is furthest to the left in the histogram transformation, open Linear fit, use that channel as reference and apply to the other two channels. After that use DBE on the 3 channels to remove any gradients, if your images have vignetting, use the division in the correction setting, if they have a normal gradient, use the subtract setting. Re-combine the image in Channel combination, then process as normal. Be careful when stretching the image, the one you uploaded has serious clipping in the black, this will kill any fine detail in the image.

I took your advice on board and this is what I come up with... First image with about of light pollution and second image with it cut out1296841012_pleadesfinishedjpeg.thumb.jpg.56e361253bb482a774b8455e9c28ca67.jpg

29 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

The pleades 2021.jpg

Looking good, just needs more data to bring out the nebulosity. Your black is still being clipped quite severely. There is probably a lot more data in your image, that is being lost with clipping the black. How are you stretching the image in Pixinsight?

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

25 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Looking good, just needs more data to bring out the nebulosity. Your black is still being clipped quite severely. There is probably a lot more data in your image, that is being lost with clipping the black. How are you stretching the image in Pixinsight?

What I use is stf and then curves.,...what would I use to bring more out I'm all new to pixinsight...I do use colour saturation too.

29 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

What I use is stf and then curves.,...what would I use to bring more out I'm all new to pixinsight...I do use colour saturation too.

The simplest method is just using histogram transformation. Remove any STF so you have a black image. Make sure your preview is enabled. Stretch just using the mid point slider, apply the stretch using the blue square button, then reset Histogram transformation, stretch again using the mid point slider. Once you see the curve moving away from the black point slider, adjust it until it until it stops just short of the curve. Rinse and repeat until your curve looks something like the top image of mine.

The bottom image is yours. Notice the difference in the curve, you are clipping a lot of information and signal out of the image.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.280d02ac2d39797448d40e8d861a6376.jpg

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.51ce73f698edff5a146d60f27ba27eeb.jpg

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1