Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Pleiades processed

Mirrorgirl

Hi 

Here is what I have done starting from scratch.... Is there anymore I can. Bring out it's only a ,30 second exposure

pleades just stars image.jpg

pleades final image 2021.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Hi 

Here is what I have done starting from scratch.... Is there anymore I can. Bring out it's only a ,30 second exposure

pleades just stars image.jpg

pleades final image 2021.jpg

If this is one 30s exposure, imagine what an hour would look like. You are already bringing out the blue nebulosity. Your histogram is looking a lot better. Maybe still clipping the blue, which means there is even more nebulosity in there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

If this is one 30s exposure, imagine what an hour would look like. You are already bringing out the blue nebulosity. Your histogram is looking a lot better. Maybe still clipping the blue, which means there is even more nebulosity in there.

Sorry I never meant to confuse you this image was 27 30 seconds and 22 darks thanks

• Like 1

Good progress so far Rhona 🙂

Flats may improve the image too but I appreciate not everybody has a dedicated flats panel.

Some people use a white tee-shirt stretched over the front of the telescope and place an iPad or similar tablet onto this which is just showing a white screen (point the scope skywards so the iPad is flat). Then set your DSLR to autoexposure AF mode and just take a bunch of shots. The resultant images, which are normally quite short exposures, can then be used as flats. That will minimize the vignetting shown on your image and also remove any dust bunnies (dust spots) within your image train. 

Trevor Jones has a good explanation on how to do this here https://astrobackyard.com/how-to-take-flat-frames/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Good progress so far Rhona 🙂

Flats may improve the image too but I appreciate not everybody has a dedicated flats panel.

Some people use a white tee-shirt stretched over the front of the telescope and place an iPad or similar tablet onto this which is just showing a white screen (point the scope skywards so the iPad is flat). Then set your DSLR to autoexposure AF mode and just take a bunch of shots. The resultant images, which are normally quite short exposures, can then be used as flats. That will minimize the vignetting shown on your image and also remove any dust bunnies (dust spots) within your image train. 

Trevor Jones has a good explanation on how to do this here https://astrobackyard.com/how-to-take-flat-frames/

What if it's night time when you want to do the flats ?

You can do the flats anytime even during the day - just make sure bright sunshine isn't shining on your telescope - also use the ipad as the light source.

If doing the flats at night time then the ipad over the top of the tee-shirt is the light source. You may have to switch off auto screen off for the duration of taking flats.

The only thing you need to consider is after taking your lights that you don't rotate the camera relative to the telescope nor change the telescopes focus.

If the camera is not altered between the next time you go out and take some more lights on a different target then you can reuse the previous flats again.

However if you alter something like rotating the camera for framing the target you will need to take fresh flats.

• Like 1