Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

G’day from Queensland

Jez

Looking to get back into astronomy after a few years away. Lent my telescope to someone who then moved and kind of drifted into other things. Decided to get back into astronomy, so am keen to learn more here about the best set up to get. Also awaiting the moonrise to view the lunar eclipse. 

• Like 1

Hi Jez and welcome to the yard.

In order that the folk here can help with any advice, could you say weather you will be an observer, or will you be setting up for photography?

Whichever way you go, I hope you find the forum useful.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jez said:

Looking to get back into astronomy after a few years away. Lent my telescope to someone who then moved and kind of drifted into other things. Decided to get back into astronomy, so am keen to learn more here about the best set up to get. Also awaiting the moonrise to view the lunar eclipse. 

Welcome to the forum Jez. Nice you get to see the eclipse, unfortunately it's not visible from my location.

• Like 1

Hello Jez welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the moon was too low here to see the partial eclipse this morning - it was around 7AM when I looked. 

I was watching Chuck (chucksastrophotography) doing a live stream on Youtube from Michigan USA this morning and he was frustrated by a covering of cloud. He wasn't happy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marmot said:

Hi Jez and welcome to the yard.

In order that the folk here can help with any advice, could you say weather you will be an observer, or will you be setting up for photography?

Whichever way you go, I hope you find the forum useful.

I’m hoping to get to do some photography but not sure if planets are visible from amateur telescopes? This evening I’m in awe. Lunar eclipse one direction, Venus Saturn and Jupiter the other!!

19D5EB82-764B-43D4-A95E-2FCB26345111.jpeg

2F2CB3D1-A0F8-4FCB-B98E-8769B5F2F664.jpeg

Yes planets are easy to do with amateur telescopes. I'm sure some of the good people on the forum can show you what is possible. Have a look in member albums (gallery) or just have a search through the forum.

I personally don't do planets preferring deep sky objects such as nebula and supernova remnants.

• Like 1