Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Texas s-w sky 11/21/21 at dusk

deecee

Was traveling west in NE Texas a little before 6 pm and saw a larger than usual "star" in the sky. I use quotation marks because it was oddly shaped and very bright. By the time I got my son to snap a cell phone picture and looked for a place to pull over, I looked up and it was gone! I'm talking in a span of maybe a minute. I looked around in case I'd lost my mind and in the south sky saw TWO lights shaped exactly like the one that had vanished. Son thinks they're UFOs. I haven't the first clue. Can anyone tell me if there were orbiting satellites on this date?

Venus is very bright and setting in the evening sky at the moment. It is very bright (magnitude -4.6) and phased (36.5%) which may give it an unusual shape to the naked eye. It is nearly 33 arc seconds in size.

aGXQffG.jpg

I saw it at 15:00 (GMT) yesterday with a small telescope, although it wasn't visible to the naked eye until about 16:30. This site is UK based and Britain is much further north than Texas, so you may well have seen a setting Venus at around 18:00 local Texas time.  

4ihMzMh.jpg

In the picture above you can see the positions of Venus, Saturn and Jupiter at 15:00 GMT. Saturn and Jupiter will be setting in the south west around 18:45 GMT as seen  from the UK. They should both be visible to the naked eye.

Edited by Nightspore