Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New Antlia Dual NB filter

AstronomyUkraine

Antlia have announced the launch of the ALP-T Dual Narrowband OIII (4nm) and H-a (5nm) Filter - 2" Mounted, for OSC cameras. There is little information so far, but this is what I found. Should be a great addition to cameras such as the ZWO 2600 OSC.

FWHM: O-III 4nm (500.7nm) and H-Alpha 5nm (656.3nm)
Blocking: 300 - 1100nm
Size: 2" mounted in M48x0.75 threaded cell

Antlia's ALP-T Dual Narrowband 4nm and 5nm filter is designed to work not only with color cameras (including DSLRs) but also with monochrome cameras to save on imaging time. It passes light at OIII (500.7nm) and H-Alpha 5nm (656.3nm) wavelengths. The advanced coatings with the ultra-narrowband design enhance the contrast and finer visibility of deep sky objects.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

It sounds interesting

It's even narrower than the L-Extreme, which has a bandwidth of 7 nm for O-III and H-Alpha. Might be very useful in locations that have heavy LP.

Update! New filters seem to be like buses. None for ages, now two come along at once. Just watching Shawn from Visible Dark, he just received a new filter from Optolong called the L-Ultimate, which is even narrower than the Antlia with a 3nm bandwidth.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

hi, the final product is Antlia ALP-T dualband 5nm,

(OIII 5nm and Halpha 5nm)

Antlia ALP-T Dualband 5nm Narrowband filter Golden filter This is the first impression of the Dualband 5nm filter, a dual filter that specifically focuses on OIII and H-alpha lines. As it looks yellow and its costs are higher than gold, we call it a "golden filter" in Antlia.

This is a test from a photographer :

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

It's even narrower than the L-Extreme, which has a bandwidth of 7 nm for O-III and H-Alpha. Might be very useful in locations that have heavy LP.

Update! New filters seem to be like buses. None for ages, now two come along at once. Just watching Shawn from Visible Dark, he just received a new filter from Optolong called the L-Ultimate, which is even narrower than the Antlia with a 3nm bandwidth.

Do you have a link? Google didn't turn up anything.

Unfortunately I would be looking at a filter for a 135 format sensor with 43mm diagonal for which 2" mounted is marginal at best. Really need 50mm unmounted to be safe.

Edit: Never mind, found it

Edited by DaveS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 11:05 PM, AstronomyUkraine said:

only just seen this post.  They're not admitting it, but I wonder if this is what OptoLong sent me and rebadged as the "L Extreme New" ... probably not, but I'll try and get it out of them!

16 hours ago, Astroarg said:

only just seen this post.  They're not admitting it, but I wonder if this is what OptoLong sent me and rebadged as the "L Extreme New" ... probably not, but I'll try and get it out of them!

The Optolong L-Ultimate hasn't been released yet, so I assume they sent you the L-Extreme.

52 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The Optolong L-Ultimate hasn't been released yet, so I assume they sent you the L-Extreme.

it's odd they didn't just send me a replacement from the distributor I purchased from.  Instead they went to the trouble of sending me one from the China factory, and asked me to send back test data, especially around star "halos" in B & G. 

Only thing I can assume if they've changed some process of the L Extreme to remove the halos but still keep 7nm.

46 minutes ago, Astroarg said:

it's odd they didn't just send me a replacement from the distributor I purchased from.  Instead they went to the trouble of sending me one from the China factory, and asked me to send back test data, especially around star "halos" in B & G. 

Only thing I can assume if they've changed some process of the L Extreme to remove the halos but still keep 7nm.

Just had an email back:

"The L-eXtreme New is a version to improve the halos for L-eXtreme.
L-Ultimate is a dual-bandpass filter with 3nm on H-Alpha and OIII wavelength. We have plan launch it on March 2022."

Meh. 😞

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:33 PM, Astroarg said:

Just had an email back:

"The L-eXtreme New is a version to improve the halos for L-eXtreme.
L-Ultimate is a dual-bandpass filter with 3nm on H-Alpha and OIII wavelength. We have plan launch it on March 2022."

Meh. 😞

Optolong have just released a set of 2" 3nm SHO filters too. Quite reasonable at just over a 1000 for the set.