Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Bresser or GSO?

Andreiiorg

Hi! After gathering more knowledge about this topic I'm stuck between 2 8"dobs:

https://astromagazin.ro/telescoape/3261-telescop-bresser-dobson-8.html with a red dot finder, 25 SP and most important, after me, 2.5 hexafoc focuser single-speed (because it gives no coma);

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescoape/gso-telescop-dobson-n-200-1200-dob-deluxe-version/p,14189 with 8x50 scope, Erfle 30mm 2", SP 9mm 1,25", a 2" Crayford with 1:10 micro-reduction, a cooling fan

For any of them I want to buy an Celestron X-Cel eyepiece for planetary( I don't know what to choose between 5mm,7mm or 9mm) and a 2x Barlow or a 1:10 gear if I go with the Bresser.

I want firstly to go on planetary observing but after some time and on DSO.

Hope that someone can give me an advice.

Clear skies!

They're probably both good. The GSO looks like it has the better focuser as it is dual speed.

T7MnWwH.jpg

I have an f/6 150mm GSO Newtonian. The focuser is only single speed but it's smooth and accurate. The optics are good as well. One caveat with a Dob' mount though, they're not ideal for lunar/planetary tracking at high magnifications as Right Ascension will move the target very quickly in the field of view. So the wider angle the eyepiece you use the better.

Thanks! I have made some simulations and the best option at eyepieces would be 9mm with 2x barlow. For any of the telescopes I will have the 2 speed focuser, for the bresser i ll buy one and the prices are going to be equal. So if anyone can give advice about the telescope to buy.

Clear skies!

6 hours ago, Andreiiorg said:

Thanks! I have made some simulations and the best option at eyepieces would be 9mm with 2x barlow. For any of the telescopes I will have the 2 speed focuser, for the bresser i ll buy one and the prices are going to be equal. So if anyone can give advice about the telescope to buy.

Clear skies!

Why not just get a 4.5mm eyepiece? Either way, the AFOV of the eyepiece will be important tracking at high speed with a Dobson mount.

The scopes both look very nice. I have no experience with Newtonian so can’t make any direct comparisons between the two, however the dual speed focuser does seem a nice feature.

For planetary work you will clearly be after a reasonable magnification: You mention that you like the sound of a Celestron X Cel LX, but don’t discount the TMBs that Nightspore put a link to. He reviewed them in the review section and they are very reasonably priced.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Having been a member for about a year I can only say that I have found the folks on here very informative.