Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Andromeda????

Mirrorgirl

Hi there

It says I have M33 the triangular pinwheel..I don't know how true this is maybe you guys could help me find out what I have located

Thanks guys

14 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Not being funny but four people have downloaded my master image so it must be something?

You have something, but I don't see any galaxy. I took it into Pixinsight, and stretched the image fully. If you had M33 it would show up at least the core. How are you locating your targets, with the handset, or with platesolve?

I uploaded the image to astrometry.net and it came up with the coordinates of this

Calibration
Center (RA, Dec):    (28.237, 29.516)
Center (RA, hms):    01h 52m 56.773s
Center (Dec, dms):    +29° 30' 57.319"
Size:    2.17 x 2.9 deg
Radius:    1.810 deg
Pixel scale:    8.7 arcsec/pixel
Orientation:    Up is 66.9 degrees E of N

Then I put the coordinates into Stellarium

image.thumb.png.9ea930d86c5d6c3a6578f2a4c69cc429.png

You can see the crosshairs showing where the coordinates are quite a bit south of Andromeda.

Clicking on the crosshairs shows what is at the coordinates

image.thumb.png.26f8b17014e29b3e42cf6243f35241d4.png

Zooming in reveals this

image.thumb.png.3245559440ff5b4680fbc19079072e34.png

So you are looking at the star Mothallah.

BTW don't take any notice of the red rectangle as that is how my sensor is relative to the sky.

Your image is centred on that star not Andromeda nor even M33

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

BTW don't take any notice of the red rectangle as that is how my sensor is relative to the sky.

Your image is centred on that star not Andromeda nor even M33

Thank you for helping really appreciate it

2 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

You have something, but I don't see any galaxy. I took it into Pixinsight, and stretched the image fully. If you had M33 it would show up at least the core. How are you locating your targets, with the handset, or with platesolve?

With the hand set but it's never exactly on target I have to move it left to right and up and down cause it's always off I don't no why

5 minutes ago, Mirrorgirl said:

With the hand set but it's never exactly on target I have to move it left to right and up and down cause it's always off I don't no why

The handset is not the most reliable way of centering on a target. Your mount needs to be level. Your polar alignment accurate, then you need a 3 star alignment using your handset, and you will still not be centred on your target. A far more precise method is using Platesolve in a programme like APT or Nina.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The handset is not the most reliable way of centering on a target. Your mount needs to be level. Your polar alignment accurate, then you need a 3 star alignment using your handset, and you will still not be centred on your target. A far more precise method is using Platesolve in a programme like APT or Nina.

Can I use these tools even if I'm not guiding yet or do I have to be guiding??  Thanks v

1 hour ago, Mirrorgirl said:

Can I use these tools even if I'm not guiding yet or do I have to be guiding??  Thanks v

You don't have to guide, but guiding will allow for longer exposures. Good polar alignment will allow you to take unguided images for around 30s. APT is probably the better option for you, it also allows you to control your DSLR and focus it. Plus it will platesolve your target, ensuring accuracy every time.

• Like 1