Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Hi from SW England :)

Hannahgrace

Hello!

My name is Hannah and I’m based in South West England.

I’ve always been fascinated with the night sky for as long as I can remember. I have a background in photography, and started taking images of the milkyway with my DSLR a couple of years ago, and became really interested when comet Neowise was in view.

I have recently upgraded my kit and have fallen in love with it all. I’m so thankful that we are able to image such beauty. What a time to be alive!

I’ve attached a few photos. The first three are taken with a 10 year old canon 5dmkii and Sigma 150-600mm lens. The last one is taken with the ZWO 2600mm (insane camera) with Hα filter which made me cry when I first saw it. I’m far too emotional 🙃 

Say hi 🙂  

74D5C917-AF1E-45CF-AB0B-AFBCC0F781A9.jpeg

478E46ED-C99A-4C9A-A04D-DFDE0A53BF0D.jpeg

7F5A45EB-AF9F-4FB4-86C1-3827B15099E1.jpeg

439CE524-FA81-421B-8DB2-84A5107E79DB.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Hanna, welcome to the forum from a beginner and your pics are WOW and very inspiring maybe one day I’ll get there keep the great work up

8 minutes ago, Ukjonathan said:

Hi Hanna, welcome to the forum from a beginner and your pics are WOW and very inspiring maybe one day I’ll get there keep the great work up

Hi Jonathan! 🙂 

thank you so so much that’s so kind. You will and you can, it takes patience and practice but you’ll get there. I still have a long way to go (not that there is an ending haha!) x 

1 minute ago, Marmot said:

Hi and welcome to The Yard.

Your pics are wonderful. I am already looking forward to seeing more of them.

Thank you Marmot. That is very kind 🙂 

I can’t wait to capture some more! 
thank you. 

11 minutes ago, Dave_S said:

Hi Hannah, and welcome 🖐️

NIce pictures 👍, "keep them coming"

Hello Dave 🙂 

Thanks very much! Absolutely cannot wait for the next clear night. I go to bed thinking about it 😂

🙂 

3 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Hi Hannah. Welcome to Backyard Astro. 😀

Hey!! Thank you! And thanks for all of your help 🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hannahgrace said:

Hello Dave 🙂 

Thanks very much! Absolutely cannot wait for the next clear night. I go to bed thinking about it 😂

🙂 

Clear nights!! ☹️, not enough in the UK sadly, but it is what it is, and we have to make the best of it.

Photography is my passion too (https://davesimaging.wixsite.com/mysite), and I have only just returned to astro imaging after an 8 years hiatus.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave_S said:

Clear nights!! ☹️, not enough in the UK sadly, but it is what it is, and we have to make the best of it.

Photography is my passion too (https://davesimaging.wixsite.com/mysite), and I have only just returned to astro imaging after an 8 years hiatus.

Ahh tell me about it! 🥲 absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? 😂 

oooh I will check that out! Wow, 8 years! Welcome backkkk!! 😄 

• Like 1

Hi Hannah...just wanted to say welcome and great shots. I started out using a borrowed DSLR and never got anything as good as those.

Just wish we all had slightly better weather...this year's not been good 😞

8 minutes ago, Sterrenland said:

Hi Hannah...just wanted to say welcome and great shots. I started out using a borrowed DSLR and never got anything as good as those.

Just wish we all had slightly better weather...this year's not been good 😞

Thank you very much!! What lens did you use? More than happy to give you some direction (I’m not an expert though!) if you wanted 🙂 

ah yes. I feel that is hasn’t been terrible in the SW, but it could be a LOT better (always 😂

clear skies will come 🌌 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TareqPhoto said:

Nice images, and you are welcome here!

The last one, is it from a lens or from a scope? If a scope then which one?

Hi Tareq!

thank you very much, very kind! 

sorry I didn’t mention that!! It is just the Skywatcher 80ED. The camera is outstanding!! 

Hi Hannah, Welcome to the forum, it is so nice to have more ladies on here, hope you enjoy it.😎

• Like 1

Hello Hannah, welcome to the Yard. I'm strictly visual but your pictures are excellent. The 80ED DS Pro is a pretty decent scope with a Schott crown and FPL-53 'flint'.

O92YTrF.jpg

Unfortunately mine's hardly been out this year.

52 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Hannah, Welcome to the forum, it is so nice to have more ladies on here, hope you enjoy it.😎

Thank you!!! I feel very proud being a female amateur astrophotographer. That’s very kind of you to say 🙂 so far, so good. Everyone is very friendly 😊😊 

9 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

Hello Hannah, welcome to the Yard. I'm strictly visual but your pictures are excellent. The 80ED DS Pro is a pretty decent scope with a Schott crown and FPL-53 'flint'.

O92YTrF.jpg

Unfortunately mine's hardly been out this year.

Thanks very much!! I’m amazed by the quality for the price, it’s excellent! ☺️

2 hours ago, Hannahgrace said:

Thanks very much!! I’m amazed by the quality for the price, it’s excellent! ☺️

You're welcome, your pictures are superb. The old joke about the 80ED is that it's an entry level scope with expensive glass. 

FysXxQ4.jpg

Mine had a MoonLite for a while. Like my ST102. The ST102 is a nice rich field scope even though it's just an achromat. Many people though I was crazy to put 360 quid's worth of focuser on a 170 quid OTA. But it's easy to take out as a grab and go. It's fast and pretty effective for visual under around 60x. The MoonLite on the 80ED was a tad faulty so I returned it and used the Long Perng 'Sky-Watcher' I had originally put on the ST102. I know quite a few people who use an 80ED for AP. It definitely punches above its weight.

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 1