Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

1st time owner of telescope! help!

Dave 1983

Evening Ladies and gents, please bear with me!

Very new to all this so please be nice! If posted in the wrong place then again apologies!

Hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction (not the sky)!

I bought my daughter a starter telescope for Xmas, followed all instructions setting it up, yet when trying to use the telescope, cannot see a thing!

We can see fine through view finder, and yes I’ve checked no covers on any lenses, you can see reverse so nothing blocked that I can tell?

Im an absolute newb to this, so any tips to help setup would be greatly appreciated.

Telescope is the following Amazon model and I’m not expecting miracles from it (my daughter is 3, but loves anything to do with space and stars)

Ecoopro 36070.

I have the 2.5mm eye piece on as it says start with that (again apologies if that’s not the terminology)

Any hell would be massively appreciated!

Dave and Millie! 

It's probably not in focus.  Best thing when using a scope for the first time is to point at something bright like the Moon.  Also check during the day time to see if you can focus on a distant object as this will prove that the telescope at least works.  

Don;t be tempted to use the most powerful lens to start with if y9ou have more than 1 lens.  something around the 25mm focal length of the lens is about right to start with.

Carole 

Hopefully we can avoid Hell. May I enquire if you are using a diagonal between the telescope and the eyepiece, a lot of budget telescopes can only achieve focus with a diagonal fitted.

29 minutes ago, Dave 1983 said:

Evening Ladies and gents, please bear with me!

Very new to all this so please be nice! If posted in the wrong place then again apologies!

Hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction (not the sky)!

I bought my daughter a starter telescope for Xmas, followed all instructions setting it up, yet when trying to use the telescope, cannot see a thing!

We can see fine through view finder, and yes I’ve checked no covers on any lenses, you can see reverse so nothing blocked that I can tell?

Im an absolute newb to this, so any tips to help setup would be greatly appreciated.

Telescope is the following Amazon model and I’m not expecting miracles from it (my daughter is 3, but loves anything to do with space and stars)

Ecoopro 36070.

I have the 2.5mm eye piece on as it says start with that (again apologies if that’s not the terminology)

Any hell would be massively appreciated!

Dave and Millie! 

I think these are sold under a variety of brand names. From the Amazon page it has a 360mm focal length. A 2.5mm eyepiece would give 144x magnification. This is about the limit of a 70mm scope. I think you mean the 25mm eyepiece. Theoretically you might get 144x on a really good night.

The eyepiece is usually placed in the star diagonal, which itself is placed in the focusing tube.

RR8srXzm.jpg

The 25mm should give 14.4x which is a nice rich field magnification enabling open clusters, and the like, to be observed. I'm guessing you have not focused properly with the 25mm eyepiece. Find a bright star or the Moon or something and then slowly wind the focuser all the way in and out again until you get a focus. Also check the finder is set-up so it is aligned with the telescope itself.