Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Suggestions on a smaller guide scope? For use with SVBONY 305 PRO

Cumbrianwolf

Not sure if this should be placed in this section or not, but admin can of course edit it.

I currently have an 80 mm x 328 mm focal length (focal ratio: 1:4.1) guide scope, reason being is that it had to be this large as the blind as a bat autoguider by Skywatcher was my first guider. Now I like this scope but at nearly 1.5 kg I am really pushing my mount somewhat to the limit once all the kit is loaded up, and I think this is going to affect tracking as time goes on. So something smaller and more practical sounds like the order of the day to me. I currently only have a SVBONY 305 PRO as my guide camera which is a colour camera so less sensitive and as such I was not sure something as small as a 60 mm will be enough? A mono camera will come along at a later date, of course, so any suggestions welcomed.

I use the ASI 290 (same sensor as yours) with a cheap 60mm ebay guide scope for guiding my 1200 fl newt. I am sure 50mm would work fine also. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul said:

I use the ASI 290 (same sensor as yours) with a cheap 60mm ebay guide scope for guiding my 1200 fl newt. I am sure 50mm would work fine also. 

Those are the words I was looking for, as I was not sure the minimal aperture would be too limiting for the camera.

The helical focuser on mine is alright but adjustment is sensitive with some shift when locking down. The optics are just ok for the job (I use a UV/IR filter). Its stable once everything is locked down and that's all that matters really. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, paul said:

The helical focuser on mine is alright but adjustment is sensitive with some shift when locking down. The optics are just ok for the job (I use a UV/IR filter). Its stable once everything is locked down and that's all that matters really. 

The helical focuser I use on the one I do have is not ideal with just one centre point to tighten down on the nosepiece of the camera, causing some tilt as I need to have it as far back as possible to reach focus, I do prefer the copper collet type constrictor that supports the whole area for lack of the better words. I think it has a built-in UV/IR filter as standard on the 305 camera.