Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

SkyWatcher AZ-GTi Wifi GoTo mount

CaptainTweaky

For just £230 inc p&p I really was not sure what to expect of this device. You can buy it as the head only, with a tripod, and also with a telescope. In my case I already have the tripod and a suitable telescope so just bought the head.

The instructions for the head alone are minimal, but it's not too difficult to work it out. The wifi works by creating a mini wifi network with either a mobile or a tablet instead of your internet wifi. Once connected it worked very well, but getting it to connect in the first place was a bit hope-&-poke.

The simplest alignment method involves leveling the telescope and pointing it North. You then select two alignment stars and follow the instructions. Once aligned it was surpising accurate when it came to finding whatever I looked for. The 'app' is not exactly intuitive but once I'd worked out its various options it worked very well. It has a huge number of celestial objects in its database, but seems to have the sense to only display the ones that are above the horizon!

One thing to watch is the power cable if you use one. It will quite happily wrap it round the tripod as there seems to be no option available to stop it. I also have been unable to update it to the latest firmware release. The wifi method just didn't work so it looks like I'll have to buy an adapter cable for about £29 inc p&p - that's a bit annoying.

The telescope I'm using is a William Optics GTF81 which is altogether a very excellent 81mm f/6.6 apo triplet with a doublet field flattener as well. With star diagonal, Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom eyepiece and red dot finder it weighs almost exactly 5 kilos, the recommended maximum, but it all worked impressively well.

So if you're thinking of buying a relatively inexpensive grab-&-go wifi goto mount, I can recommend this device in whichever format suits your need. Currently though, just about every outlet in the UK is out of stock until the end of October!

SkyWatcher AZ-Gti Wifi GoTo Mount

• Like 3

I have been considering this for a very portable setup to take out to Dartmoor and of course you can get an equitorial wedge and firmware to match.

• Like 1

The AZGTI is a smashing little grab and go mount, I use mine a lot for just setting up quickly with my 72mm refractor.

I use it mostly for Moon shots and I use it with my Quark too for solar.  Its handy when the weather or time are against you and you just want to get going in a few mins to catch something in those pesky cloud gaps.

AZGTI-01.jpg.391c6544cbb100bb84ff5964e00bdaf5.jpgAZGTI-02.jpg.bb57e677f05fe89cf3c4574c332fb749.jpg

To update the mount firmware via WiFi, you need to ensure the computer uses the (SkyWatcher WiFIMCFirmware.exe) available from the support pages, and also that the PC running the firmware updates is connected to the mount via the mounts WiFi, not your internet router.

http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

• Like 1

Posted by: @ZBOYD

To update the mount firmware via WiFi, you need to ensure the computer uses the (SkyWatcher WiFIMCFirmware.exe) available from the support pages, and also that the PC running the firmware updates is connected to the mount via the mounts WiFi, not your internet router.

http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

@ZBOYD

Yes - that is exactly what I did. Having the dubious benefit of being a retired IT technician I tried every concevable thing that just about everyone has suggested but it just wouldn't do it. Then I read of the person who did eventually get it to work and it hung at 1% and that was the end of that until he bought the adapter. So on that basis I decided that discretion was the better part of professional pride and I'll wait until I get the adapter. Irritatingly P&P adds another 30% to the cost if bought on its own!

@captaintweaky

It worked fine with mine, not too shabby with IT myself, but did notice the Mount takes a while for it’s WiFi to kick in properly, and if it waits too long without a connection it tends to reset.  It’s pretty finicky (technical term) ? 

The IT mantra is usually turn it off and on again. Although WiFi drivers and the hardware differ from PC to PC so could be compatibility issues, connection speeds etc with one type of PC over another, I can only reflect on my experience. 

The latest firmware is quite good too, as it allows you to handoff the control from one device to another, and keep the alignment data.  For example use SynScan Pro on a phone outdoors to setup the alignment, then pass control to a PC or laptop running the SynScan Pro Windows app. 

Posted by: @ZBOYD

@captaintweaky

It worked fine with mine, not too shabby with IT myself, but did notice the Mount takes a while for it’s WiFi to kick in properly, and if it waits too long without a connection it tends to reset.  It’s pretty finicky (technical term) ? 

The IT mantra is usually turn it off and on again. Although WiFi drivers and the hardware differ from PC to PC so could be compatibility issues, connection speeds etc with one type of PC over another, I can only reflect on my experience.

@ZBOYD

I'm happy for you.

Knowing the potential incompatibilities with different manufacturers' wifi, I have tried 3 laptops and a desktop with inbuilt wifi and also a wireless 'dongle'. Having let the Wifi connect properly in every case, I think I've exhausted every reasonable possibility in terms of Wifi compatibility.

On most occasions the loader software finds the device then tells me to 'Wait . . .' then after varying lengths of time the software says '(not reponding)' before an advice dialog box tells me to recycle the wifi on the device. If I click on 'MC' it even tells me that it's connected but can give me no information. As for turning it on and off, I've taught that technique to others.

Hopefully that clarifies a little my comment I also have been unable to update it to the latest firmware release. The wifi method just didn't work so it looks like I'll have to buy an adapter cable for about £29 inc p&p - that's a bit annoying. Searching on Google it looks like I'm not alone with this issue.

• 1 month later...
Posted by: @GazAstro

I love mine ? but they are very inconsistent in quality control.

Some good, some terrible. 

I have noticed that when trying to image something like Mars on very significant magnification, it is possible to see the 'steps' of the stepper motor in the viewfinder. But then it's not the most expensive mount is it?! ? 

If there is anyone still following this topic, I have something to add. I now use the Hand Control that came with my SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro mount and it is so much easier to use that either my mobile phone or 10" tablet. It helps that the handcontroller is redundant for the mount which is controlled remotely by computer in my observatory, otherwise a Hand Controller is approx £150 and the relevant cable approx £23. So whilst it helps considerably, it's an expensive extra if you don't have one.

The issue I had with updating the firmware overcame itself without explanation. I can only presume there was perhaps a conflicting signal nearby or some other interference that made the wireless connection untenable for a period. Once it decided to behave it worked perfectly!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2020 at 11:54 PM, CaptainTweaky said:

If there is anyone still following this topic, I have something to add. I now use the Hand Control that came with my SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro mount and it is so much easier to use that either my mobile phone or 10" tablet. It helps that the handcontroller is redundant for the mount which is controlled remotely by computer in my observatory, otherwise a Hand Controller is approx £150 and the relevant cable approx £23. So whilst it helps considerably, it's an expensive extra if you don't have one.

The issue I had with updating the firmware overcame itself without explanation. I can only presume there was perhaps a conflicting signal nearby or some other interference that made the wireless connection untenable for a period. Once it decided to behave it worked perfectly!

Can I just say that I bought the SynScan hand controller direct from Orion Telescopes and for £150 including postage I got the hand controller itself, two cables (RJ45 to RJ12 and RJ45 to RJ45) to fit most mounts you're likely to use it with and the hand controller clip for the tripod.  Orion shipment to the UK where I am is from Netherlands in Europe.  It came Fed Ex and arrived at my door just 5 days after ordering.  The Orion hand controller works perfectly with my Sky Watcher AZ GTi Go To mount and it's much more convenient than the SynScan app on my phone.  So for the best deal I would recommend buying this hand controller directly from Orion Telescopes.

20220111_153038.jpg

Edited by Peter B