Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Deep Sky/Rich Field Visual Observing

TerryMcK

Here you can record any Deep Sky or Rich Field and notify members of anything of interest in this category for visual observers.

• 1 year later...

I'm a fan of my binoculars whilst the rig is capturing photons! And I use the monthly Steve Tonkin Binocular Sky Newsletter for target suggestions and notification of current visual events. Unfortunately though, this December 2023 edition was his last! But as Steve says, the deep sky doesn’t change much from year to year, so the archive should see you good there.

This month lists this lot, I've observed a few of them plus Jupiter during December.

Screenshot2023-12-30101644.png.076bbd55b6fad66a5e6b7452ddc5b33a.png

The news letter lists these plus loads of other useful observing information. 

The good news is that subscriber Tom Nirider is going to carry the newsletter on:

'm delighted to announce that a subscriber has offered to continue the newsletter. His name is Tom Nirider. I cannot pass on the subscriber list (MailChimp policies and GDPR) but if you email Tom at  nightskiestom@icloud.com he will compile a new subscriber list.

By way of introduction, Tom wrote:

My name is Tom Nirider, I am a semi-retired nuclear engineer with a background in both physics and astronomy (I know, an odd combination of majors for someone with the title “engineer”). I’ve been an amateur astronomer since the age of 9 when I received my first telescope, a Tasco refractor for Christmas.

I intend to continue as best I can, to fill the gap for binocular astronomers as Steve moves on to pursue other interests. I will provide specific details about where to find the newsletters and the associated web page shortly after January 1st. I hope to provide interesting and engaging content with a slant toward science-based astronomy topics, observing plans and related discussions. I expect this to evolve in the near term as we all learn together.

I look forward to interacting with you all!  Happy Holidays!!

It will be good to see what Tom does with it.

Graeme

• Like 1

I must email Tom as he is carrying on the good work from Steve. I like to have a look with the binocs from time to time too.

• Like 1