Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Tutorial for fake hubble palette with dual narrowband filter?

Bas

I have seen a couple of pictures of people using dual narow band filters like the Optolong L-enhance filter and making a fake hubble palette photo with it.

I understand that you can extract the HA data from the red channel and the Oiii data from the combination of the blue and green channel. But how can you make a hubble palette with only these 2 layers? I have searched and can find some information about Pix-insight being able to do this, but I would like to do this manually in Photoshop. Mainly because I don't have Pix-insight or APP.

My main goal would be to get that blue background in the pictures like this one.

763456291_IC1805-SHO-ver8-small-Customsmall.thumb.jpg.f87ef03ccc33dbfcb38bd84aa7bddb03.jpg

This is not my picture, but only displays what kind of effect i am looking fore.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Even with mono imaging and separate narrowband filters I find I have to do a lot of messing about with Selective colour in Photoshop to get the blue in NB images, and Orangey colours in Ha as SHO comes out predominantly Green in the Hubble palette, and then even when I have adjusted the Green to the proper Ha colours, I find the blue background is still Greenish, I just fiddle with all the sliders until I get a colour that I like.   

You might find this You Tube Tutorial I did which may help with this, though it is designed for mono filters, but it you skip along a bit (about 1 1/2 mins in) and miss the filter combining section. 

Carole 

Posted by: @Bas

I have seen a couple of pictures of people using dual narow band filters like the Optolong L-enhance filter and making a fake hubble palette photo with it.

I understand that you can extract the HA data from the red channel and the Oiii data from the combination of the blue and green channel. But how can you make a hubble palette with only these 2 layers? I have searched and can find some information about Pix-insight being able to do this, but I would like to do this manually in Photoshop. Mainly because I don't have Pix-insight or APP.

My main goal would be to get that blue background in the pictures like this one.

Here is a video that shows exactly what you are looking for. The images are processed in Siril (free software), to extract the OIII and Ha data. Then further processed in Photoshop.

Posted by: @Carastro

I find the blue background is still Greenish

Have you tried HLVG (Hasta La Vista Green) to remove green pixels? It's based on the SCNR process in Pixinsight, and does a good job. It runs on Photoshop 64 and 32 bit versions.

Posted by: @AstronomyUkraine

Have you tried HLVG (Hasta La Vista Green) to remove green pixels?

Yes I have it as a plugin, but sometimes it is too heavy handed on the blue stuff, and I find it easier to use selective colour.

Carole 

• Like 1