Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New Grab And Go Mount

Scopeman

Hi,

The Porta 2 arrived this morning, I think the only bit I don't like are the push on plastic controls, so ordered some proper flexible ones with the thumbscrews. First impressions are the mount seems fine, the tripod also seems quite stable, not sure it warrants paying out for the Hal-130 to be honest. The only thing I don't really like about it is the plastic leg top fittings but again I don't think it warrants laying out £200+ for the HAL-130, but that remains to be seem I guess.

20221013_110414.jpg

20221013_110425.jpg

Edited by Scopeman

These are very handy mounts for Observers.  I have used one (not mine) when I used to do "outreach events" with my astro group, and are really easy to use and keep the target in the FOV when you have a queue of waiting observers.

Also my neighbour wanted to get into astronomy when she retired from the police force and asked me for advice on what to get as she often goes in her campervan to dark skies.    After some discussion on what she wanted and how much she wanted to spend, I found her one of these to go with the Maksutov I also found her and she is really happywith both.

I also showed her how to use it and find Mars etc.

Carole 

Hi Carole, how are you? Yes, I put the 127Mak on it this morning and now my SW autofocuser handset is playing up, lol. Quite impressed with it, I was going to replace the tripod but I now think as a grab and go it is probably adequate. I was looking at the HAL130 but struggling to justify the cost tbh. Great to hear from you again btw.

I wasn't overly impressed with the tripod. Maybe I underestimated it. I wouldn't trust my 127mm Mak with it. There may be vibration return issues as well.

dIwMeXG.jpg

ADM Accessories

Z6nEfDU.jpg

I replaced the slo mo cables with the ADM knobs.

They are nice, I ordered a set of flexible ones. With regard to the tripod, I can't believe how they justify the cost of them tbh, the SW tripods are so much better and a fraction of the cost. Mine however will not work with this mount which is a shame. I like the idea of the HAL130 but cannot justify the cost. This is just a quick grab and go for me, my big gun scope, the 180 is far less portable but way more substantial than this is. I think if it were my main set up I might feel differently but we'll see how it goes. I did some research and also ordered a pier extension too so I can lower the tripod which also helps with stability.

Edited by Scopeman

Yes, I like the look of it, I just ordered it but it had to come fron the EU as no one has them here! l will use this for the time being until it arrives. I saw pics of yours on another post and the legs looked more substantial than they looked in the images you posted to me and that was what swung it for me. Soif you got any close ups of yours can you send them over please? Happy days!

Edited by Scopeman