Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

My Grab & Go

Scopeman

A shout out to Nightspore for all the info on this Vixen AP2 mount and Vixen TL130 tripod. All very sturdy, tripod came today and pleased with its weight and it seems very solid. Now I can't wait to try it out. It comes to something when this tripod, came from Germany, arrived in just a few days and yet thanks to our postal strikes I have been waiting 6 days now for some slow motion controls to come from Harrisons up in Scotland! Not Harrisons fault I hasten to add but it just shows how ridiculous everything has become in this country and there is still no end in sight!

20221017_122425.jpg

20221017_123750.jpg

20221017_124306.jpg

Edited by Scopeman
  • Like 1

There's a postal strike? lol

yG6n2MU.jpg

Did it come with this carrying case? I find these 'cases' very infuriating to put the tripod/mount combo back into. Does nothing for my blood pressure. 🥵

Edited by Nightspore

No, no case, but I already have a Geoptik tripod case which is 3' 5" long, so once I collapse the legs right down I 'should' be able to get it all in these without seperating it all up, the pier won't though as there is only 8.5" left. So I'll probably leave the pier on the tripod and put the ount in my astro cupboard.

20221017_164854.jpg

20221017_164840.jpg

20221017_165732.jpg

Edited by Scopeman

That could work. I take mine out in an OTA bag.

m5xfT86.jpg

This one, in fact. Shown here with the AZ5. When fully collapsed the TL-130 is shorter than the Sky-Watcher. 

I don't have an OTA bag, mine are all in aluminium flightcases to keep them safe. But whatever works and keeps the dust off I guess.

I have some hard cases. The OTA bag is light though. Transportation is always a challenge for me, so I like to make life easier for myself. 

bEI0MIp.jpg

Although it took me a while to figure it out. 

Z73i6Ja.jpg

I still can't believe I used to drag these things down my garden.

Lol, what procedure do you use when you bring a scope inside from the cold to avoid condensation on the optics? Put them in the cases outside and let them warm up slowly inside their cases overnight?

10 hours ago, Scopeman said:

Lol, what procedure do you use when you bring a scope inside from the cold to avoid condensation on the optics? Put them in the cases outside and let them warm up slowly inside their cases overnight?

I just leave them in an unheated room indoors, letting them dry naturally. 

I meant when you bring the ota in from the cold to warm up, to avoid condensation dripping, Got the pier and slo mo controls earlier.

I don't know. I just bring them in and leave them dry naturally. When they've dried I often check the objectives for dust or pollen. 

Below is my ‘grab & go’...

F61B9D5A-75A6-4D20-B2AF-0D2E156B857F.thumb.jpeg.08ef956b6643f6d1cad60d5a90fe811b.jpeg

‘re-modded’ Meade ETX105, DwarfStar mount (alt-az) & Manfrotto PROB tripod.

33 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Below is my ‘grab & go’...

F61B9D5A-75A6-4D20-B2AF-0D2E156B857F.thumb.jpeg.08ef956b6643f6d1cad60d5a90fe811b.jpeg

‘re-modded’ Meade ETX105, DwarfStar mount (alt-az) & Manfrotto PROB tripod.

Nice.

tfMK5Dh.jpg

102mm SkyMax on AZ5.

• Thanks 1