Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Tip

Scopeman

I have a few Pentax XL eyepieces that I have had for years and I was getting a bit worried as the top halves had turned from black to grey and and patches of white! I decided to very sparingly and lightly brushed on some Renaissance wax and buffed it straight off and you would not believe the difference!! They actually look brand new again!  Here is a before and after and they do not look like the same eyepieces!!

2087282778_20221025_130453(1).jpg.514e16fc2ee6734c8ee7d10e4d44cc55.jpg

20221025_143155.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also, a spray of silicone spray on to a cloth and applied to most rubber surface helps, I assume the wax you used may also have had the same effect, I was looking into that wax for protection of some metal finds from the metal detecting.

• Like 1

I use Renaissance wax on lots of things and was just inquisitive and it worked, so didn't need to go the Silicone spray route, but thanks for the tip, always handy to know these things.

• Like 1

Renaissance wax is a wonder product. I use it in woodworking on for instance drawer runners and numerous other applications like tool corrosion protection.

• Like 1

Yes, me too, it is the best by far. I collect WW2 items and I came across it about 5-6 years ago and used it to coat my German K98 rifle and all sorts of items since. Pure chance trying it on the eps though and didn't know beforehand if it would work but clearly worked wonders. Expensive but well worth it and it goes a long way.