All the gear no idea 🤣😂🫢

Evening everyone, I’ve been wanting to get into astrophotography since being a child , now I’m that bigger child at 41 I’ve finally bought myself a canon 1300d with kit lens and a canon 70d with kit lens , msm tracker a tripod and intervalometer and I need some help with the settings I should be using can someone please give me some advise on setting up my cameras how to stop the noise and get crystal clear pictures , what stacking software is best for a newbie , thank you all in advance , much love andy xox

Hi Andy welcome to the forum. There are a lot of people on here who can help with your query.

I can’t comment on the camera settings as it is a while since I used my DSLR for astro but free stacking software is available. One for Windows is Deep Sky Stacker http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

Easy to use and great for a newcomer.

Noise is normally tackled in the processing side rather than within the camera itself. I use PixInsight to produce my images and there are plugins for it to reduce noise.

There is a module you can buy called Topaz DenoiseAI https://www.topazlabs.com/denoise-ai which works great standalone or within Photoshop and/or Affinity Photo.

I haven’t done DSLR imaging for many years, but l was told to take 300secs @ 800 ISO.  
take as many as possible - several hour’s worth. 
Do not turn on noise reduction in the camera as each image will take twice as long.  

I have a “How to image with a DSLR” page on my website which l wrote in 2013 with a few tweaks since then.   Many people have found it useful and l will post a link up.  

My reservation is your mount as ideally you need to guide, though might be less bothersome in wide-field images.  You may need shorter exposures if you can’t guide.  

Getting noise free images with an uncooled camera is  pretty impossible. 

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophotography-carole-pope/how-to-image-with-a-dslr

Carole

Edited by Carastro

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 11:47 PM, Andy420 said:

Evening everyone, I’ve been wanting to get into astrophotography since being a child , now I’m that bigger child at 41 I’ve finally bought myself a canon 1300d with kit lens and a canon 70d with kit lens , msm tracker a tripod and intervalometer and I need some help with the settings I should be using can someone please give me some advise on setting up my cameras how to stop the noise and get crystal clear pictures , what stacking software is best for a newbie , thank you all in advance , much love andy xox

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. I would suggest checking out Astro Pixel Processor for stacking and processing because it's workflow-based and easy to use. It isn't free but reasonably priced, and you can get results fast. Here's the basic workflow video I saw on Facebook: