Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Need image sets of cepheid variables for photometry

LukasB

Hi everyone. I am currently working on a Matura paper about cepheid variables. My main focus is to create a light curve from a cepheid and use that for distance determination. I use the photometry program Tycho and am well accostumed to it. The only problem is that i don't have any useable data. Would anyone be able to provide me with image sets of a cepheid (preferably 2 peaks visible), which i could use to create the light curve?

Thank you in advance,

LB

• Like 1

I can't help you with data immediately, but this sounded interesting. I don't know a good way to go about getting this info with amateur equipment, but the idea of plotting a graph of the luminosity of a variable star to confirm the available statistics sounds like fun.

So we'd have to find a suitable star with not too long a period, each person participating somehow measuring and recording the luminosity, and then compare the data to find the period and somehow establish the luminosity, thus giving its distance?

Not sure if that fits with your plan for the paper, but if enough people sign up it should be possible...

Edited by Moonlit