Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

A little confused on when to debayer

Adam Y

Hi all - so I've probably read too much on the subject and its left me confused -- is there a simple answer to the question "at which point in the imaging process do I debayer"?  

Let's assume my basic flow for now will be Capture (Firecapture, using Skyris 132C OSC) > Stack (Autostakkert!) > Wavelets/sharpen (Registax) > Additional Processing (GIMP).

I think I am confused because each of these programs seems to have some sort of debayering option, so I am a little unsure of when to pull that lever to make it a permanent part of the image?  I know for certain not to have it enabled during capture, but I'm unable to tease apart the threads beyond that point.   Would I do it in Firecapture after capturing, but before sending over to Autostakkert!?   

(Note that it is entirely possible I am overthinking this.)  Cheers,

adam

It's a long time since I did any planetary imaging or even for that matter use a coloured camera.  However I do recall having to choose the debayering settings when stacking but that was for Deep sky objects.

Sorry if this is not much help. 

Carole 

• Like 1

You need to find out what the bebayering pattern is on your camera and choose the right one in your stacking programme if I recall correctly.  

Carole 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 5:28 PM, Adam Y said:

Hi all - so I've probably read too much on the subject and its left me confused -- is there a simple answer to the question "at which point in the imaging process do I debayer"?  

Let's assume my basic flow for now will be Capture (Firecapture, using Skyris 132C OSC) > Stack (Autostakkert!) > Wavelets/sharpen (Registax) > Additional Processing (GIMP).

I think I am confused because each of these programs seems to have some sort of debayering option, so I am a little unsure of when to pull that lever to make it a permanent part of the image?  I know for certain not to have it enabled during capture, but I'm unable to tease apart the threads beyond that point.   Would I do it in Firecapture after capturing, but before sending over to Autostakkert!?   

(Note that it is entirely possible I am overthinking this.)  Cheers,

adam

Hi Adam, I always capture in RAW (mono undebayered) with FireCapture (though I do preview debayered), then let Autostakkert debayer, usually auto will work, but sometimes I have to force the debayer pattern.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Looks like this has worked itself out.  As mentioned above by Carole and Geof, debayering seems to happen automatically once I stack the frames, according to the settings in Autostakkert!3.  In this case, it is set to auto detect, and seems to work fine.  Thanks again!