Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Wow just wow from ZWO customer care!

Cumbrianwolf

I reached out to ZWO asking where I can buy a new ST4 cable to match the ASI120mm Mini, of which I previously managed to lose the original due to the house move. 

Now they answered quite quickly with this comment:

"It's $5, and the shipping cost is $30, so the total price is 35USD.
Payment can be sent to our PayPal account: sam.wen@zwoptical.com
Please send us the screenshot when the payment is done.
And we need your full address which includes your phone number to ship your order."

$30 to ship a cable out to me? I could buy the crimping tool, some cable and crimps for that price and make my own, needless to say I said thanks but no, thanks to them.
If that is how they play, then I doubt they will have me as a potential customer for a dedicated astro cam in the near future. 
Edited by Cumbrianwolf
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

If you went down the UK manufacture route, paying someone to make one cable, you would be spending similar money.
If you imported the item yourself from ZWO you could end up with import fees imposed by the carrier.

This is why many manufacturers, not just ZWO, have agents and distributors worldwide.
Small orders like this are best handled at a local level.
Have you asked a UK astro retailer who sells ZWO product about a spare cable?

I work in electronics design and manufacture, with our equipment often going overseas.
Invariably we direct overseas parts enquiries to a local agent.

The local agent often has stock of low cost parts.
When the agent replenishes stock, it is subject to minimum order volumes.
That way the shipping cost (which can include a wheelbarrow for the overseas paperwork) is shared among many items.
Further, it ensures local agents are given the opportunity to keep in touch with end users.

Though keeping all of the people happy for all of the time is impossible.

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 1:03 PM, Cumbrianwolf said:

I reached out to ZWO asking where I can buy a new ST4 cable to match the ASI120mm Mini, of which I previously managed to lose the original due to the house move. 

Now they answered quite quickly with this comment:

"It's $5, and the shipping cost is $30, so the total price is 35USD.
Payment can be sent to our PayPal account: sam.wen@zwoptical.com
Please send us the screenshot when the payment is done.
And we need your full address which includes your phone number to ship your order."

$30 to ship a cable out to me? I could buy the crimping tool, some cable and crimps for that price and make my own, needless to say I said thanks but no, thanks to them.
If that is how they play, then I doubt they will have me as a potential customer for a dedicated astro cam in the near future. 

My friend, did you also hear of the awful Oil leaks happening to some models of their ZWO ASI imaging cameras, retailing for over £1100!? Apparently they are offering to fix them free of charge, but the fact they're still selling £1100 cameras with a known fault, is very worrying!

• Thanks 1

The only way to avoid supplying anything with zero risk of defects is to supply zero products!

The mark of a good manufacturer is how (or whether) he will remedy problems that show later.

I have no experience of oil leak on my ZWO (lower cost) cameras.
I have though heard of ZWO cameras that fail in warranty being swapped for new by the UK retailer.
An example of the local agent, with I'm ZWO approval, taking charge of the service issues.

Another example of a responible manufacturer is Lunt. Their solar scopes were known (a few years back) for a blue filter going cloudy. I like many,  suffered on my (long out of warranty) LS60.
A quick email exchange got it sorted, with a new filter in the post at no charge.

I could mention other known defects on astro equipment that manufacturers have chosen to ignore. But we are in danger of drifting off topic.

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1

Well I opted for pulse guiding as my mount allows that, so the only cable I needed after all was one direct from the camera to the laptop. I was not happy at the extortionate price they wanted for postage and as was said above I would have probably incurred extra charges on import costs!