Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

What will you see visually through your telescope?

Cumbrianwolf

Lots of newcomers wonder what they will see through the optics, so this link is to a telescope simulator, and it is very accurate as well as fully customisable to your needs, so once you have an idea of the telescope you want you just input the stats into this simulator and follow the guide to get as near as life view of the chosen celestial objects.

https://www.stelvision.com/astro/telescope-simulator/

Edited by Cumbrianwolf
  • Like 1

I particularly like the simulation of M31 through a 200mm scope which shows it as a fuzzy blob - could almost be a SW200P Dob. That was my first impression of M31 too when I first saw it through my 200P years ago. I also like the simulation using an 80mm aperture on the same target which shows a smaller and much dimmer fuzzy blob. My 20x80 binocs give the same view.

I think it has good simulations.

• Thanks 1

Here's another good one that has been helpful to me - https://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

It lets you choose your telescope, eyepiece, barlow/reducer, etc.  It also has a camera view so you can see what a given camera will show in its field of view.  You can manually enter specs as well if your camera/eyepiece/telescope in the list.  If I'd known about this site, I might have gone a different way with my camera, but I'm still getting good use from it and I will know better what I am looking for with my next purchase.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the Stelvision tool is awesome! If it's correct I can't wait to get my new telescope.

Pics of both my current scope (120mm f/8.3 refractor) and soon-to-arrive scope (250mm f/6.3 newt) with my 32mm 2" SWA EP.

M42-120mm.JPG

M42-250mm.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonlit said:

Wow, the Stelvision tool is awesome! If it's correct I can't wait to get my new telescope.

Pics of both my current scope (120mm f/8.3 refractor) and soon-to-arrive scope (250mm f/6.3 newt) with my 32mm 2" SWA EP.

M42-120mm.JPG

M42-250mm.JPG

It's as near to what you can expect from a simulation. And the 250 will wow you as the light grasp on DSO is quite remarkable.