Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Hello from western Norway

Stavaas

Hello, everyone!

Long time stargazer here. Been looking to the skies since I was a kid.

Last year my I bought a cabin on an island outside my hometown, and during my first night there I looked up and was blown away by a dense carpet of stars. Stars I have never seen before due to the lack of light pollution. And then I decided to fulfill a dream I have had since I was little - buy a telescope and maybe snap some nice photos too. I will probably need you guys to help me navigate the gear at some point.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos I snapped with my iPhone out at the cabin. Not the best camera, but I was suprised how well they turned out anyway. I wonder what I will be able to capture with proper telescope and camera 🥰

Looking forward to get to know you better.

Chris

IMG_3494.JPG

Untitled.png

Hi Chris welcome to the forum. As you have found even handheld shots with an iPhone can produce spectacular results especially in dark sites that your cabin has.

The most recognisable constellation of Orion is in the lower picture and the red colour of Betelgeuse is very apparent.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.  As well as Orion as Terry noted, you have also, in the first image, captured the Andromeda Galaxy.which, when you consider it is 2.5 million lightyears away, is pretty cool really.