Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

NormalizeScaleGradient Script

John Murphy

Hi Chris,

Instead of re-running updates, you can reinstall NSGxnml:

In the PixInsight PROCESS menu, select:

PROCESS > Modules > Install Modules...

Browse to the folder. 

Press 'Search'. A dialog should display '1 additional PixInsight module(s) were found... You may need to select 'Recursive' if the file is not found.

Press 'Install'

Since the root cause of the problem is the PixInsight 1.8.9-2 release, I would recommend reinstalling 1.8.9-1 until the 1.8.9-2 release is more stable. So far, comments on the PixInsight forum have not been entirely positive about 1.8.9-2

This is the first reported NSG problem on 1.8.9-2, so hopefully it's is a rare occurrence. PixInsight stability seems to be very sensitive to the environment it is run in 😟

Sorry I can't offer more help, 

Regards, John Murphy

https://www.normalizescalegradient.net/

https://www.youtube.com/@NormalizeScaleGradient

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I'm adding much to the conversation here with all of the 1.8.9.-2 issues... I am unable to install the NSGxnml file. I couldn't do it in 1.8.9-2 or the build that was just released. I'm running PI on a Mac and have done all off the security things per the instructions. When I go to install the file, I get the error below. Best to just go back to 1.8.9-1? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

Installing 1 module(s) :

/Users/tim/Astrophotography/NSG/1.0.5/NSGXml-pxm.dylib

<* failed *>

• ** Error: Unknown exception
  • * Warning: No modules were installed.

On 8/31/2023 at 4:26 PM, Tjdowling said:

Not sure I'm adding much to the conversation here with all of the 1.8.9.-2 issues... I am unable to install the NSGxnml file. I couldn't do it in 1.8.9-2 or the build that was just released. I'm running PI on a Mac and have done all off the security things per the instructions. When I go to install the file, I get the error below. Best to just go back to 1.8.9-1? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

Installing 1 module(s) :

/Users/tim/Astrophotography/NSG/1.0.5/NSGXml-pxm.dylib

<* failed *>

• ** Error: Unknown exception
  • * Warning: No modules were installed.

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the delay, I've been really busy.

Someone else has reported exactly the same error message. In his case, it turned out to be a PixInsight problem. The solution was to re-install PI 1.8.9-2

Most other Mac install problems can be solved by:

NSGXnml installs automatically on Windows and Linux. However, on the Mac, it is unsigned so it has to be downloaded and installed manually.

1. (Mac only) Important: First check is that you have downloaded the correct NSGXnml version from www.normalizescalegradient.net PI 1.8.9-1 requires NSGXnml 1.04, PI 1.8.9-2 needs NSGXnml 1.05
  2. (Mac only) In Finder, right-click on the downloaded NSGXnml-pxm.dylib file and select “Open”. When the error message pops up complaining about an unrecognized developer, click “Open”. A terminal window will pop up and almost immediately exit.

3. (Mac only) Use PROCESS > Modules > Install Modules... to install NSGXnml. Restart PixInsight.

Regards, John Murphy

Thanks John. Turns out the correct fix is:

1. Install 1.8.9-2 - try to install 1.0.5 and fail

2. Revert to 1.8.9-1

3. Install 1.8.9-2 - try again to install 1.0.5 and fail again

4. Revert to 1.8.9-1

5. Ask how to fix the problem on backyardastro.org

6. Install 1.8.9-2 - try to install 1.0.5 and succeed! 

This same phenomenon exists in aviation. The problem usually miraculously disappears when maintenance shows up. 🤪🤣

Thanks! Love NSG! 

-Tim

• Like 1

A PixInsight bug has been reported for Mac OS that can affects the installation of all PI C++ modules (including NSGXnml). The following error can occur during installation:

Installing 1 module(s):
/Applications/PixInsight/bin/StarNet2-pxm.dylib
<* failed *>
*** Error: Unknown exception

The work around is that this error only occurs if you display the metadata for the C++ module while installing it. The problem only affects Mac OS. As this affects all C++ modules installs on Mac, I expect PIxInsight will fix it soon.

Regards, John Murphy

On 8/19/2023 at 6:17 PM, John Murphy said:

Hi Chris,

Instead of re-running updates, you can reinstall NSGxnml:

In the PixInsight PROCESS menu, select:

PROCESS > Modules > Install Modules...

Browse to the folder. 

Press 'Search'. A dialog should display '1 additional PixInsight module(s) were found... You may need to select 'Recursive' if the file is not found.

Press 'Install'

Since the root cause of the problem is the PixInsight 1.8.9-2 release, I would recommend reinstalling 1.8.9-1 until the 1.8.9-2 release is more stable. So far, comments on the PixInsight forum have not been entirely positive about 1.8.9-2

This is the first reported NSG problem on 1.8.9-2, so hopefully it's is a rare occurrence. PixInsight stability seems to be very sensitive to the environment it is run in 😟

Sorry I can't offer more help, 

Regards, John Murphy

Hi John
No problem. Just wanted to let you know ....

Meanwhile ...

After the latest 1.8.9-2 update ... it crashed "normally" again ... means I only needed to restart PI, continue the NSG script and finally I got my result ... no error message as above anymore.

But now ...

I just installed the W11 September updates from MS, the latest Graphics driver update from Nvidia, launched PI, launched NSG on a set of 330 files, expected the crash on file 138 or so ... but it got through all files without an error in a single run ... 

No changes of PI settings ...

Good news then ... but I will have to confirm it by watching memory consumption and reproducibility.

Just to let you know ...

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am looking for help/advise on first use of NormalizeScaleGradient4.0 and PhotometricMosaic5.0.

I had everything installed prior to a PI update that has blow aways all of these scripts. I have managed to get back most of them, but I am missing NormalizeScaleGradient from the script menu.

I have added the repository, updated, and it is not picking up. I have received advice about deleting updates.xri, but PI version 1.8.9.2 Build 1588 no longer uses that file.

Once I get past these install issues, Is there a step-by-step tutorial or quick start guide? 

I have just created a new PixInsight repository that installs both NormalizeScaleGradient, all the PhotometricMosaic scripts, and all the Reference Documentation.

I have provided detailed instructions to ensures you don't end up with duplicated PhotometricMosaic menus in this post:

A quick recap:

Install the very latest version of PixInsight: 1.8.9-2 build 1588 (released 2023-10-19)

If you manually added the PhotometricMosaic scripts, remove them.

If you are using my previous repository ("nsg.astropills.it/" kindly hosted by Marco. Thank you!) remove it:

RESOURCES > Updates > Manage Repositories
Select "https://nsg.astropills.it/"
Press Remove

Install the new PhotometricMosaic / NSG repository

RESOURCES > Updates > Manage Repositories
Press Add
Enter the new repository address. Remember to include the final "/":
https://pixinsight.astroprocessing.com/
Press OK

Problem solving

• "Network error: Could not resolve host"  Solution: ensure the repository URL ends with "/"
  • Reset the PixInsight update system:

PI 1.8.9-2:
RESOURCES > Updates > Reset Updates

PI 1.8.9-1:
Delete 'updates.xri' from the PixInsight root folder. For example on Windows delete:

C:\Program Files\PixInsight\updates.xri

Regards, John Murphy

https://astroprocessing.com/ (setup in progress...)

Edited by John Murphy
  • Like 1

Hi John,

I have looked around but could not figure out where the MRS noise data came from in your NSG tutorials.

Can you enlighten me please and thank you.

Jim

On 10/29/2023 at 4:03 PM, JimP said:

Hi John,

I have looked around but could not figure out where the MRS noise data came from in your NSG tutorials.

Can you enlighten me please and thank you.

Jim

The latest version of the WBPP script no longer calculates the noise estimate by default. You have to select it:

WBPP: Pipeline tab > Subframe Weighting

I intend to update the NSG script to provide this advice if the noise estimates are missing.

Regards, John Murphy

https://astroprocessing.com/

Edited by John Murphy
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I have finally finished building my new website, which hosts PixInsight repositories for both NormalizeScaleGradient and PhotometricMosaic:

https://www.astroprocessing.com

I have tried to add as much useful detail as possible, so you might even find that the FAQ page also helps you solve problems with other third party repositories as well.

Important: The NSG repository URL has changed. Please make sure you update this (previously, the NSG repository was hosted by Marco - thank you!). The new repository URL, and how to update it, are described in the new website's Repository tab.

The old NSG website now links to this new site.

Regards, John Murphy (NSG, PMM author)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

When PixInsight 1.8.9-2 was released, I was aware that not everyone would have a computer that was compatible with its new requirements. For example:

• macOS version needs to be macOS 11.x Big Sur or later.
  • Some machines with an integrated graphics card can't run PI 1.8.9-2
  • Requires support for AVX2 and FMA3 processor instructions on Linux and Windows

I therefore maintain two versions of NormalizeScaleGradient (NSG) for both PI 1.8.9-1 and 1.8.9-2 The repository automatically installs the correct version on Windows and Linux, and macOS users can download either version of the NSGXnml C++ module from  my website.

Both NSG versions use the same code, they're just compiled for PI 1.8.9-1 or PI 1.8.9-2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 12:43 AM, John Murphy said:

A PixInsight bug has been reported for Mac OS that can affects the installation of all PI C++ modules (including NSGXnml). The following error can occur during installation:

Installing 1 module(s):
/Applications/PixInsight/bin/StarNet2-pxm.dylib
<* failed *>
*** Error: Unknown exception

The work around is that this error only occurs if you display the metadata for the C++ module while installing it. The problem only affects Mac OS. As this affects all C++ modules installs on Mac, I expect PIxInsight will fix it soon.

Regards, John Murphy

Hi John, I use PI 1.8.9-2 and followed the installation instructions for a Mac installation of NSGXnml you give on your website to the letter. I unfortunately however still receive the "unknown exception" error. I the bug fixing instructions you mention that this only occurs when "if you display the metadata for the C++ module while installing it".

What do you mean by this? How do I display the metadata or not display it?

On 12/17/2023 at 10:45 PM, reglogge said:

Hi John, I use PI 1.8.9-2 and followed the installation instructions for a Mac installation of NSGXnml you give on your website to the letter. I unfortunately however still receive the "unknown exception" error. I the bug fixing instructions you mention that this only occurs when "if you display the metadata for the C++ module while installing it".

What do you mean by this? How do I display the metadata or not display it?

When installing the module, the module's metadata is displayed if you select the entry (creating the orange band in the attached image).

To avoid the PixInsight install bug (hopefully they will fix this soon!), don't click on the entry. You will not be able to see which version you are installing; the lower text area will display "<No Module Selected>" instead. Ignore that message, and press the "Install" button.

image.png

Edited by John Murphy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, a feature request.

When running NSG in the process container (for multiple filters), can the integration images be saved automatically in, say, a subfolder called "masters"? This would be similar to what WBPP does.

The reason is that when doing mono and if you add Ha to LRGB, and are drizzling, at the end of the run there are something like 25 files open in total. Going through each, closing the hi/lo/drizzle weights and then saving the ones you want can be nervewracking 🙂

Hope its possible.

Thanks

On 1/2/2024 at 3:23 PM, zerolatitude said:

Hi John, a feature request.

When running NSG in the process container (for multiple filters), can the integration images be saved automatically in, say, a subfolder called "masters"? This would be similar to what WBPP does.

The reason is that when doing mono and if you add Ha to LRGB, and are drizzling, at the end of the run there are something like 25 files open in total. Going through each, closing the hi/lo/drizzle weights and then saving the ones you want can be nervewracking 🙂

Hope its possible.

Thanks

This is a great idea! It is on my list of things to do...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 4:33 AM, John Murphy said:

The latest version of the WBPP script no longer calculates the noise estimate by default. You have to select it:

WBPP: Pipeline tab > Subframe Weighting

I intend to update the NSG script to provide this advice if the noise estimates are missing.

Regards, John Murphy

https://astroprocessing.com/

Hi John,

I was going to ask this exact question about noise. Now I have the answer, select subframe weighting in the pipeline. 

New question:

In my NSG after load my registered color images I do not have any Altitude or Airmass showing. Are they obtained from the Fits header? I can confirm they are not in my fits headers. 

Thanks,

ROger

• Like 1

Hi John,

I have been a fan of NSG for a long time, learning about it from Adam Block's first NSG videos. Irregardless if Pixinsight has a wonderful/perfectly accurate weighting, I want to use NSG to really learn about my images and learn why the integrated results are good or not so good, and of course simplify my gradient prior to DBE. Thank you for your hard work. Recently I have watch your videos (1-4) in your series.  I have one question below.

So recently I was clouded out at a dark site and could only get 4 x300s (5min) images. So when I got home to my light polluted home I added 10x600s (10min) images. After processing through WBPP, I loaded all the registered and debayered images to NSG. 

I really like your blink tool which really shows all the images in accurate comparison. 

I was surprised when processing all the images that the 10x10min only added a few (42 - 20 = 22) weighted minutes to the total exposure time. 

I was more surprised when running NSG with only the 10x600s the weighted minutes (2hrs 7min) was much better than expected.

Question:

Could you scan the attached file and comment why the 10x10min exposures gave such a high weighted minutes vs downgraded to only 42 min when I used the additional 4 x 5min with the 10x10min exposures?

Thanks,

Roger

NSG results study.png