Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Free online modulation transfer function and image sampling analysis tool

AstronomyUkraine

A new piece of very good software from RC Astro, and it's free. Basically you input your OTA numbers and the tool will calculate if your setup is over-sampled, under-sampled or just right. The calculation will also show if your images will benefit from drizzle or binning. More info and access to the calculator is here.

https://www.rc-astro.com/resources/MTFAnalyzer/

2 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Thanks for linking Brian. It should help a lot of us imagers.

Digging a little deeper, for those images that suffer from under-sampling, drizzle will effectively cure that, but removes contrast. The use of BlurXTerminator will restore the contrast.

I checked this out last night - another excellent tool from Russ. Thanks for pointing it out. The thting I struggle with is calculating seeing, which is quite essential if you play with the slider.

This youtube video is quite helpful in explaining its use:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RaDec said:

I checked this out last night - another excellent tool from Russ. Thanks for pointing it out. The thting I struggle with is calculating seeing, which is quite essential if you play with the slider.

This youtube video is quite helpful in explaining its use:

Finding your seeing for any location can be found easily on Meteoblue. It calculates the seeing for your location by the hour.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/outdoorsports/seeing/london_united-kingdom_2643743

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Thanks 1

Someone asked me a question on Instagram last night regarding dual band filters, and how you would calculate the wavelength for such a filter. I had no answer to that, except maybe average out the Ha and OIII wavelength, which would give an answer of 575nm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RaDec said:

I tried that - it only applies to London, but I guess that's maybe close enough?

You can enter your own location. At the top centre/left, you will see a box marked location search. Just type in your location and it will find it. You can also see the strength of the jet stream in one of the columns, which will also affect seeing.

This is the help link for seeing. https://content.meteoblue.com/en/private-customers/website-help/outdoor-and-sports/astronomy-seeing

It shows the extra column headings which are absent from the current seeing table.

Current below showing “index”

IMG_0360.thumb.jpeg.9db3a89c7a417b31a2f66d70cab93197.jpeg

Extra explanation column headings showing “seeing” column seen below

IMG_0359.thumb.jpeg.c1a3e1247598d660806d5c643afa358e.jpeg