Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Qhy5 issue

dazdaz

Hello. Is anyone still using the qhy5 (the original bigger one) guide cam.   It's being a pain.  It works fine with the qgvideo or whatever it's called app that came with it, But sharpcap displays horizontal bars across the screen and with PhD2 the image is visible but it's like it's scanning like an old TV/monitor, the stars in the image gradually move upwards on the screen then re appear at the bottom then move up again...  First thoughts were faulty USB lead so I replaced it, then I thought maybe the laptop I'm testing on usb ports don't have enough power when on battery so plugged in the power supply which made no difference.  I then plugged it into my desktop Pc to try, again it works perfectly using the program that came with it  but with PhD2 and sharpcap it does the same thing.   One variable I haven't been able to try is going back to windows 10 from Windows 11 but that's last resort.  It used to work flawlessly on windows 10 I do know that, but windows 11 is basically just a reskin so don't think that would be the issue.     I have read that there is a known issue with sharp cap(something to do with the resolution being written in the driver the wrong way around but PhD2 is meant to have its own fix for that issue. 

If anyone is still using one have had issue but remedied it some pointers would be much appreciated.  Thank you 

Incase anyone is interested. I sorted my issue.. I found an old copy of phd1 installed it and it works straight away haha.  If it ain't broke and all that... 

So sorry l missed this post.  I still use a  QHY5 and had no issues with it.  
I also use PHD1 but l have had it working in the past on PHD 11 but just prefer the simpler PHD1.  If it aint broke.  I am using W7 but pretty sure it works in W10 too. 

Wasn’t aware there were issues with the driver but as l never bother to upgrade stuff on the same principle as above l never found out.  

Glad you are sorted.  

No worries. I got there in the end. I did look for PhD 1 at the start but couldn't find it online and all I could find was stuff for PhD 2. Same in relation to the qhy5 drivers, you can't get them off of the qhy website anymore ( I found them elsewhere). Luckily I later found an article that mentioned that modern astronomy shipped cameras bought from them with a cd with all the drivers etc, when I see that I had a lightbulb moment haha. I went searching through all my old CDs in the loft and there it was. The cd has all the drivers on + phd1.   I Installed it, plugged in the camera and it all worked perfectly.   I found my original copy of byeos  and it all still works too. I was half expecting my canon 1000d to have died. I hasn't exactly been stored in perfect conditions (in a box in the shed ).  Next on the agenda is to see if eqmod and the shoestring auto focuser box still works lol. 

That's what I use (Modern Astronomy CD with drivers) it is stored in a safe place.  

Good luck with your other endeavaours.

Carole 

• Thanks 1