Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Help with a refractor!

Ayden

Hello. I recently acquired a Celestron 60mm travel scope National Park Edition. It was all in pieces, so I put it together. the problem is that the views are extremely blurry and never reaches focus. …However. I can get it to achieve focus, but It does so at a distance so far that I’m actually holding the eyepiece outside of the focuser because it physically cannot rack that far out. Everything’s together correctly, the objective mirror is put together correctly and is right side up. I’m lost with this scope, because I’m trying to fix it to have as a backup to my Orion XT10. Anyone can help? Thanks.

Hi Ayden I can't help there unfortunately but maybe somebody familiar with the scope on the forum might be able to help.

Hi Ayden

Firstly, I assume you are using a diagonal?

You won't achieve focus with the Ep stuck in the back of the focus tube.

Secondly, if that point isn't relevant, take some pictures and post them here.

It might help to nail the issue.

Hi @Ayden

As per what @RaDec said above.

Even a 'cheap & cheerful' star diagonal will be better the nothing at all.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 2:23 AM, Ayden said:

...the objective mirror is put together correctly and is right side up.

Hmm. You say 60mm so it must be a refractor, which doesn't have any mirrors in the telescope tube, only a single lens at the front. If you really meant a mirror, that sounds like the star diagonal that goes into the focuser tube, in front of the eyepiece?

A picture showing your assembled telescope would be really helpful here.