Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Tasco 851TR missing eyepiece

Frussell.537

Hello, we recently got a TASCO 851tr with an eq mount from a rummage sale for my 9year old son. It is missing the eyepiece. From what I can find out it would be best to get an adapter so we would have more options. What would the best adapter and eyepiece be for a beginner? Thank you.

Hi Frussel - I think the Tasco you have has a .965 focus tube, for which not many (quality) eps are available.

You can search eBay or similar for an adaptor for only a couple of pounds, which will step it up to 1.25"

As for eps, try something with a wide field - 20mm minimum, 25 or 30mm better.

Avoid any magnifying eps like 9 or 12mm as the telescope will not have the resolution for them.

I hope your son (and you) get a taste for the hobby.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1