Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Herschel Wedge. Which type?

Carbon Brush

When first setting out to buy a Herschel wedge I considered various manufacturers and asked around.
The conclusion was that people had been happy with their wedges.

Importantly there did not seem to be anyone with regret.
nobody said 'I wish I had bought the more expensive as it works better'. Or 'I used brand A and changed to B because of an improved view'

I saw that most seemed to be 90 degree build. With only a few Brewster Angle.
When I asked on another astro forum, the only comments for/against related to the eyepiece angle. Not so comfortable with a very high sun.

In the end i bought a Lacerta Brewster angle and have been happy with the results.
BUT - I have not measured performance against anything else!

Since then, at the Practical Astronomy Show this year I asked a (solar observing) lecture speaker for comments on Brewster vs 90. He did not have first hand knowledge.
I received a similar response from a retailer - he had never used a Brewster angle wedge.

Does anyone here have any comments on Brewster vs 90deg?

I suppose the question is coming out today as I can actually see shadows outside - instead of overcast!

Thanks David.

I have the Altair Astro Hershel wedge. Not sure what angle it is but it works fine. Always cool.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old topic now, but i asked about which wedge to buy as i feel like people prefer the most expensive one even the other wedges also work just fine.

I do have Antlia Herschel wedge which came with built in CaK [it is K-line instead] 393um 3nm filter, i removed the filter thinking about trying another filter, i feel like i regret to remove the filter exposing it to dust and i think about another wedge to be for WL with another filters and leave Antlia with this K-line filter alone, and the only three options i keep thinking about are the Baader one, Lunt and Altairastro, i do have 2" Continuum filter so that i was thinking either 2" wedge or another filter of 1.25" for WL.

I have an Altair wedge which works great. My opinion is the only advantage of using the Baader version is the T2 thread allowing direct attachment of cameras or Baader binoviewer.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:34 PM, Anaximander said:

I have an Altair wedge which works great. My opinion is the only advantage of using the Baader version is the T2 thread allowing direct attachment of cameras or Baader binoviewer.

Is that really the only advantage? Is it worth it for that much in your opinion?

The Baader mk2 now has brightness adjustment which the Altair had all along so now maybe a closer call. The Baader is more adaptable with the T2 thread and the photo version comes with various filters. For me I couldn’t justify the extra cost especially as the build quality of the Altair is top notch too.