Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Buying the first telescope! I'm interested in deep space!

Ethan

Hello everyone! I live in Greece and I am interested in buying my first telescope. What interests me is deep space. Since this is my first telescope, I wouldn't want to pay more than $500, but I would like to get something that will keep my interest. I understand that how far I will be able to observe depends a lot on the money, so I would like the money I have available to translate into observing the maximum distance (relative to the money). From what I understand it is better to look for a reflecting / dobsonian telescope. With $500 can I observe much deeper than our solar system or will I have to go for more money? Also, what features should I focus on? I'm also thinking about something used just to buy something more value for money but i don't know if it's a good idea because I'm a beginner and i will not be able to test its condition. I have been very excited about astronomy since I was a child and I am very much looking forward to my first telescope. Thank you very much in advance!!

I'd be more likely to recommend a 4" (102mm) achromat.

wJjzQW5l.jpg

Like my Sky-Watcher StarTravel ST102. Admittedly it would need a mount and tripod.

3ev7uMAl.jpg

The stock focuser/visual back is pretty good, although I eventually replaced mine.

2tBjR2ql.jpg

More than once ...

kZiJQacl.jpg

... in fact.

aWb7M5sl.jpg

Portability is a factor. Plus a fast refractor of around 10cm can be easily as good at light gathering as a reflector that is slightly bigger. Cool-down is much faster and you can more or less use it right away.  A 6" Newtonian could take up to two hours to become thermally stable.

vuQGMHQl.jpg

I like mine so much for deep sky observing that I eventually put a more expensive rotating focuser with a fine focus ability on it. Chromatic aberration (CA) aka 'false colour' is not so much of a problem with DSO's. Although it can become a problem with high magnifications. I find up to 125x is relatively fine though. Mostly.

5lQclj5l.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you need a mount too, you’d be best looking at one of the Skywatcher type packages - Dobson best for deep sky and affordability; Maksutov best for Moon and planets. A 4” refractor is a nice all rounder, though with less aperture. 

On 11/10/2023 at 6:06 PM, Nightspore said:

I'd be more likely to recommend a 4" (102mm) achromat.

wJjzQW5l.jpg

Like my Sky-Watcher StarTravel ST102. Admittedly it would need a mount and tripod.

3ev7uMAl.jpg

The stock focuser/visual back is pretty good, although I eventually replaced mine.

2tBjR2ql.jpg

More than once ...

kZiJQacl.jpg

... in fact.

aWb7M5sl.jpg

Portability is a factor. Plus a fast refractor of around 10cm can be easily as good at light gathering as a reflector that is slightly bigger. Cool-down is much faster and you can more or less use it right away.  A 6" Newtonian could take up to two hours to become thermally stable.

vuQGMHQl.jpg

I like mine so much for deep sky observing that I eventually put a more expensive rotating focuser with a fine focus ability on it. Chromatic aberration (CA) aka 'false colour' is not so much of a problem with DSO's. Although it can become a problem with high magnifications. I find up to 125x is relatively fine though. Mostly.

5lQclj5l.jpg

Beautiful Moonlite in matching green! They’ve stopped making manual focusers so this is a collector’s item.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, City dweller said:

Beautiful Moonlite in matching green! They’ve stopped making manual focusers so this is a collector’s item.

Thanks. I used to have two:

mYpE7Pfl.jpg

But I returned the one on the Evostar as it was a bit borked.

Xd6Z9nxl.jpg

I went with a Sky-Watcher (Long Perng). Some don't have holes for a finder shoe. This one did and I put a white shoe on it. The SW/Long Perng doesn't rotate as well as the MoonLite, but the focusing is as good if not better.