Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

HELLO!

Gerry R.

My name is Gerry.  I consider myself a "sub-beginner".  Joined here to glean helpful info & hopefully get some info about maintenance & repair, if possible, of my old but beloved Celestron, Nexstar 8i telescope. Always loved using it (watched the eclipse yesterday with my solar filter) but the years themselves have caused SERIOUS degradation of wiring insulation & hand controller to no longer have a functioning digital readout. Finding support or replacement parts has been a DAUNTING task & was hoping for some HELP!  Looking forward to participating. 

Gerry 

Welcome to the form Gerry. Hopefully someone will be along to help, but perhaps post the questions in the relevant telescope forum, as not everyone reads the welcome pages. 

Pretty sure those Nexstar scopes come on a vixen dovetail.  This can be mounted into quite a few mounts, such as the Skywatcher mounts.  

An example of a Vixen Dovetail.  It is sort of wider at the bottom than the top.  comes if various lengths and styles but the same basic shape.  

spacer.png

Edited by Carastro

As well as the Skywatcher this sort of mount has vixen fix:

spacer.png

Ignore me if I am wrong about the dovetail.