Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Hello from Cumbria!

Martyn87

Hi all, Martyn from sunny Cumbria here. I'm a complete astronomy newbie, bought my first scope at the weekend after my eldest daughter showed an interest in learning about the planets and used that as an excuse to get it past the better half :classic_biggrin:. I'd done a fair bit of research before buying and have picked up a second hand Celestron StarSense DX 6" which I believe is 'mostly' the same as the other 6" SCTs on the NexStar, C6 etc... I hope so at least! 

I've not had chance to use it properly yet although have been able to get it set up, aligned with the red dot and tested the collimation on a couple of bright starts last night so I think I'm all set to go, just got to wait for the clouds to clear now! 

Hi Martyn and welcome to the forum. Waiting for the weather is a very big issue this year, but the scope you have is an excellent choice imo. Easy to use, quick to set up so very likely to be used. I look forward to your early impressions. 

44 minutes ago, RaDec said:

Hi Martyn and welcome to the forum. Waiting for the weather is a very big issue this year, but the scope you have is an excellent choice imo. Easy to use, quick to set up so very likely to be used. I look forward to your early impressions. 

Thanks RaDec, I did look at similar apature dobs or EQ mounted reflectors but the size was definitely an issue for me, I'm hoping I'll be able to pack this in the car and head off to some darker spots pretty easily. 

That’s the beauty of it. There’s a saying that the best telescope is the one you use. Something portable and easy to use is definitely the way to go. That is unless you want to image, where things get a little more tricky. No need to ask how I know!🙄

• Haha 1

Imaging might come later, once I get bored of looking at things... 

Thankfully, there are a LOT of things to look at yet! 

Sounds like a nice scope, Welcome to the Backyard Indeed !