Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New ZWO EAF

AstronomyUkraine

ZWO have released a new version of their popular EAF. The main difference between this and the old version, is the new version does not need a 12v power supply, instead it runs of 5v USB supply, thus removing one extra cable from your OTA.  The price is exactly the same for this version, as the old version, and comes in two flavours, the standard and advanced varieties. Prices in Europe are 240 euro for the standard version, and 300 euro for the advanced version.

It is always nice to have one cable less on your rig, but there is no mention of improvement in the terrible backlash these autofocusers suffer from.

Brian

1465586284_EAF00.thumb.png.c9b9986ed072b71297c8018e61eecc1b.png

Thanks for the info...I was considering something like this as a next step.  Would you recommend and would I see a benefit in my images?  The view from my garden gives me about 4 hours of sky on a good day so I can't image all night.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterBolt said:

Thanks for the info...I was considering something like this as a next step.  Would you recommend and would I see a benefit in my images?  The view from my garden gives me about 4 hours of sky on a good day so I can't image all night.

I have the old style EAF, and autofocus is a great time saver. It will also keep your stars in focus at all times. Depending what capture software you are using, you can set the autofocus routine to run on temp change, filter change, every hour, or when the HFR increase goes beyond a certain level. Depending on your telescope, you need to choose the right option, they make different brackets for different types of scopes.

Here is a link to the ZWO website. You can find more detail here.

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/eaf-5v

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

5 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I have the old style EAF, and autofocus is a great time saver. It will also keep your stars in focus at all times. Depending what capture software you are using, you can set the autofocus routine to run on temp change, filter change, every hour, or when the HFR increase goes beyond a certain level. Depending on your telescope, you need to choose the right option, they make different brackets for different types of scopes.

Here is a link to the ZWO website. You can find more detail here.

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/eaf-5v

Thanks I will take a look.  I have have an old Helios 200P with the Skywatcher low profile focuser

7 minutes ago, PeterBolt said:

Thanks I will take a look.  I have have an old Helios 200P with the Skywatcher low profile focuser

There is a link on the website to various telescopes and focusers compatible with the EAF, you'll be able to check your setup on there.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 9:01 PM, AstronomyUkraine said:

There is a link on the website to various telescopes and focusers compatible with the EAF, you'll be able to check your setup on there.

I've decided to give it a go... hopefully it will be here within the next couple of week 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PeterBolt said:

I've decided to give it a go... hopefully it will be here within the next couple of week 🤞🤞🤞

Great. If you need help with calculating backlash, or steps, just ask. What capture software are you using?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Great. If you need help with calculating backlash, or steps, just ask. What capture software are you using?

At the moment I am using backyardeos but this week I started looking at N.I.N.A.  I might give it a test tomorrow as it looks like being clear...it looks like a great piece of software.

Edited by PeterBolt

13 minutes ago, PeterBolt said:

At the moment I am using backyardeos but this week I started looking at N.I.N.A.  I might give it a test tomorrow as it looks like being clear...it looks like a great piece of software.

I have dabbled in NINA, and I'm looking at EKOS, but I'm still using SGP at the moment. The NINA autofocus routine is excellent from what I've heard, and Cuiv the Lazy Geek has a great video on youtube how to set the EAF up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I have dabbled in NINA, and I'm looking at EKOS, but I'm still using SGP at the moment. The NINA autofocus routine is excellent from what I've heard, and Cuiv the Lazy Geek has a great video on youtube how to set the EAF up.

Thanks I will take a look 👍

I just installed the new 5v version of the ZWO EAF. I was prepared to do work figuring out the backlash based on the numerous reports of the bad backlash, but I did not see the bad backlash that is shown in "The Lazy Geek's"  and other videos. Maybe they addressed the backlash issues.

Edited by suburban_astronomer

5 hours ago, suburban_astronomer said:

I just installed the new 5v version of the ZWO EAF. I was prepared to do work figuring out the backlash based on the numerous reports of the bad backlash, but I did not see the bad backlash that is shown in "The Lazy Geek's"  and other videos. Maybe they addressed the backlash issues.

I hope so, the backlash was unacceptable, even for a budget focuser.

On 4/26/2021 at 1:40 PM, suburban_astronomer said:

Same here, I got a measurement of 30 steps

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PeterBolt said:

Same here, I got a measurement of 30 steps

Just ordered the new version for myself. I will keep the old version as spare. I took the old one off yesterday, and I could physically rotate the EAF shaft with my fingers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Just ordered the new version for myself. I will keep the old version as spare. I took the old one off yesterday, and I could physically rotate the EAF shaft with my fingers.

Is it something that gets worse over time.  I am hoping to try the backlash overshoot method next time out.

1 minute ago, PeterBolt said:

Is it something that gets worse over time.  I am hoping to try the backlash overshoot method next time out.

It has got worse in a couple of months, by at least 20 steps.

34 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

It has got worse in a couple of months, by at least 20 steps.

I will keep monitoring mine then.... hopefully the overshoot method will compensate for any small changes over time.

30 minutes ago, PeterBolt said:

I will keep monitoring mine then.... hopefully the overshoot method will compensate for any small changes over time.

I noticed in NINA the backlash is applied to both directions, which makes sense to me, yet in SGP you can only choose in or out, not both.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed my new ZWO EAF. This version is powered by USB so that's one cable less. The good news is the backlash is virtually zero, compared to my old ZWO, which had a backlash of 110. The fine focus is moving in either direction immediately, with no backlash compensation applied. I have allowed for a little backlash compensation in my capture software, it won't do any harm, just 10 steps.

• Like 2