Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Meade ETX 80 focus knob

gabs

Hi,

I was trying to understand why my focus is so bad when I need to use for photography and I found out that the knob wasn't tight enough so basically was quite loose.

The mechanism itself is not so brilliant and it seems to be the weakest part of the scope.

The absence of any electronic focuser on the market for this model of telescope makes everything a bit more complicated.

I am a bit disappointed to see that the focus knob has already lost his grip considering that the telescope is new and bought in December last year and the box came without any key or tools to do a proper maintenance

So, to my personal opinion is a very good scope for observing but definitely not so good for photography.

If someone has had the same issue i would be interested to see how was sorted.

gabs

IMG_4034[1].JPG

Looks like some sort of angled gear is used ?

Might have to strip and have a look.

Found this on another site.

DSC_5951_sm.jpg

10 minutes ago, GazAstro said:

Looks like some sort of angled gear is used ?

Might have to strip and have a look.

Found this on another site.

DSC_5951_sm.jpg

Yes I saw it too.. at least I don’t feel alone ... someone seems had the same problem!

So, is it loose here ...

image.png.13fba198544e5e0d75201f3fa8a99fca.png

If so, you could remove the knob and file a flat area on the shaft for the grub screw to hold position better maybe ?

19 minutes ago, GazAstro said:

So, is it loose here ...

image.png.13fba198544e5e0d75201f3fa8a99fca.png

If so, you could remove the knob and file a flat area on the shaft for the grub screw to hold position better maybe ?

Both were loose I managed to sort where the green arrow is but unfortunately for the red one I need a special key which I don’t have!

B61B388C-133E-48C5-9842-2CA7F89564A9.jpeg

8 minutes ago, GazAstro said:

OK, thats an Allen key - should be cheap on Amazon.

Yes I have fully set of Allen key but no one of them so tiny to do the job. I will research again. Thank you! 

5 hours ago, gabs said:

Yes I have fully set of Allen key but no one of them so tiny to do the job. I will research again. Thank you! 

I believe the ETX focus knob has an allen key size of .05", which means a metric allen key is no good. The nearest metric equivalent would be 1mm, but that might be too small to fit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I believe the ETX focus knob has an allen key size of .05", which means a metric allen key is no good. The nearest metric equivalent would be 1mm, but that might be too small to fit.

It seems that  I need to use a toothpick or a needle !😀

Gabs I seem to recall reading on your posts that you bought this is the recent past, if it is still under guarantee why not get your retailer to sort it out.

Carole 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carastro said:

Gabs I seem to recall reading on your posts that you bought this is the recent past, if it is still under guarantee why not get your retailer to sort it out.

Carole 

Thanks Carole,

I will try to contact the seller on Monday and see what they say. However I saw other people complaining with the same issue so I guess is a common problem with this telescope.

gabs

Worth investing in a set of Imperial Allen keys, also making sure there's a flat on the shaft for the screw to locate on is a good idea.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:52 PM, MarkAR said:

Worth investing in a set of Imperial Allen keys, also making sure there's a flat on the shaft for the screw to locate on is a good idea.

Thank you Mark,

allen key set has arrived the good thing is there are 2 sets at the price of one. I have tight up a bit the focus knob now I just need to check if I did correct . Unfortunately the weather doesn’t seem to be good in the next day ... let’s see I will keep you posted!

gabs