Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

M13 First tentative not processed yet

gabs

with new gear and equatorial scope I took 50 no exposure at 120 sec each plus calibration frame. 

I am not fully satisfied as the stars appear a bit trailed but happy because was my first with new telescope

I hope you like but feel free to comments you all know how much I need to learn!

thanks

Autosave.jpg

• Like 3

I can’t give advice on the tech stuff as I am purely an observer, but I will say that it’s good to see that you are getting use out of your new kit.

Thanks ,

that was two days ago before rain and clouds.

I hope to tray again soon!

32 minutes ago, gabs said:

with new gear and equatorial scope I took 50 no exposure at 120 sec each plus calibration frame. 

I am not fully satisfied as the stars appear a bit trailed but happy because was my first with new telescope

I hope you like but feel free to comments you all know how much I need to learn!

thanks

Imaging with an exposure over 30 seconds without guiding will always leave star trails. Tracking does a good job if the polar alignment is accurate, but anything over 30s has a risk of introducing star trails.

• Like 1

That is looking promising Gabs apart from the trailing as you say.  I would bet that although you have an equatorial mount you are not guiding as yet.

It's a very important step to take.  

Carole 

20 minutes ago, Marmot said:

I can’t give advice on the tech stuff as I am purely an observer, but I will say that it’s good to see that you are getting use out of your new kit.

7 minutes ago, Carastro said:

That is looking promising Gabs apart from the trailing as you say.  I would bet that although you have an equatorial mount you are not guiding as yet.

It's a very important step to take.  

Carole 

I am trying to install APT on my laptop not sure if that will help, however I have found my laptop is not good for this software or rather says it get very very slow...

thanks Carole! 

Have you got a small 2nd scope and small 2nd camera?  You'll need that for guiding.  You don;t need APT to guide, but PHD.

I.e. have you got a finderscope with your new scope, if so what are the specs, if might be possible to convert it to a Finderguider without further telescope cost, that is what I do.  

See the small gold telescope (between the two larger ones) it has a small brown "thing" in the back, that is a guide camera.

spacer.png

Carole 

Edited by Carastro

7 minutes ago, gabs said:

I am trying to install APT on my laptop not sure if that will help, however I have found my laptop is not good for this software or rather says it get very very slow...

thanks Carole! 

APT on it's own won't work. You need to install Ascom, to talk to the mount. Also you might need an EQdir cable.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

Hmm, I just looked back to see what Mount Gabs bought, and it is a 

sky watcher EQ3-2 mount.  Not sure if this is capable of guiding.

Carole  

1 minute ago, Carastro said:

Have you got a small 2nd scope and small 2nd camera?  You'll need that for guiding.  You don;t need APT to guide, but PHD.

I.e. have you got a finderscope with your new scope, if so what are the specs, if might be possible to convert it to a Finderscope without further cost, that is what I do.  

See the small gold telescope (between the two larger ones) it has a small brown "thing" in the back, that is a guide camera.

spacer.png

Carole 

That is a good setting Carole I am quite far for that.

I am using the old finder scope I have got from the Meade . That is just to do the 3 star alignment. A finder scope is in my wishing list . One step at time I am trying to get the items I need or rather say the items I need for a good imaging.  I like your gears !! 

5 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

APT on it's own won't work. You need to install Ascom, to talk to the mount. Also you might need to install EQmod and an EQdir cable.

Well if that is the only problem I can install additional software. Thanks for the advice! Let’s see how far I can go!

19 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Hmm, I just looked back to see what Mount Gabs bought, and it is a 

sky watcher EQ3-2 mount.  Not sure if this is capable of guiding.

Carole  

It can be connected to a PC with a cable connected to the hand controller. It also has an ST4 guide port.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

It can be connected to a PC with a cable connected to the hand controller.

Good to know that for minute I had a very nasty feeling!

I just need to find the right equipment and get confident to use them!

Just now, gabs said:

Thanks you ,

that is exactly the mount I have got.

i really appreciated!

Yes it's not the EQ3-2, you have the EQ3 Pro Synscan.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Check this out. A lot of useful information here.

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/95.pdf

1 minute ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Yes it's not the EQ3-2, you have the EQ3 Pro Synscan.

They look very similar and it seems using a Meade as guide scope? Which I can potentially do it in the same way.

thanks

1 minute ago, gabs said:

They look very similar and it seems using a Meade as guide scope? Which I can potentially do it in the same way.

thanks

I don't think your 72ED needs a guidescope so large. A normal 9x50, or 8x50 will be sufficient.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I don't think your 72ED needs a guidescope so large. A normal 9x50, or 8x50 will be sufficient.

Thanks I will see what I can get without spending too much!

3 minutes ago, gabs said:

Thanks I will see what I can get without spending too much!

Not forgetting you will also need a guide camera too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Not forgetting you will also need a guide camera too.

Are they expensive? Sorry for asking

3 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Depends what you call expensive. 😀 You can buy both together as a kit, as long as your scope has a guidescope bracket on it.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-9-x-50-straight-finder-with-zwo-120mm-mini-package.html

That is affordable for my pockets!

thanks you so much 

• Like 2

Just now, gabs said:

That is affordable for my pockets!

thanks you so much 

I have the same camera, it is very good for guiding. It is also good for moon shots too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I have the same camera, it is very good for guiding. It is also good for moon shots too.

Thank you so much very good help here!!

• Like 2