Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

My current set up.

Cumbrianwolf

TS GSO 10" 254 mm f/ 4 1016 mm parabolic imaging Newtonian
2” Monorail Crawford focuser
Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro SkyScan
TS Coma Corrector for f/4 optics
TS Optics 80 mm Guide Scope
SVBONY 305 PRO Guide camera
Canon EOS 7D Camera (Unmodified)
Sky-Watcher 22Ah Power Tank (Yuasa battery upgrade)

ASUS ZenBook UX431FA i7

The picture of the laptop in the box shows the heat pad I am using that keeps the laptop dew free and at a good temperature for working efficiently (sorry about my ugly mug in the reflection on the screen).

IMG20220116154839.jpg

IMG20220116154849.jpg

IMG20220116154901.jpg

IMG20220116154920.jpg

Edited by Cumbrianwolf
  • Like 4

Looking good. Only one slight problem I see, is the position of your dslr. It would give you better balance if it was underneath the scope. We all know how to balance the scope, but there is what is called balancing the 3rd axis. This is achieved by setting the RA axis horizontal, then positioning the scope upright. Loosen off the dec axis, and see which way the scope falls. Ideally it should stay perfectly upright. It looks like yours would fall to the West.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Looking good. Only one slight problem I see, is the position of your dslr. It would give you better balance if it was underneath the scope. We all know how to balance the scope, but there is what is called balancing the 3rd axis. This is achieved by setting the RA axis horizontal, then positioning the scope upright. Loosen off the dec axis, and see which way the scope falls. Ideally it should stay perfectly upright. It looks like yours would fall to the West.

I was wondering why some or most users did that, and I agree, next time out it will be on the underside of the scope. Thanks for that tip as I need to get it balanced as much as possible as it is of course just on the limit of the mount, so I need all the extra help it can get. 

• Like 1

John I don't know if you have one but you may benefit from a dew shield on your scope. I know my Dob had dewing issues with it being open ended. I bought one and it worked really well extending the amount of viewing time considerably before the secondary inevitably dewed up. As my Dob is purely visual I didn't go down the route of dew straps and fancy mirror heaters.

I image with refractors, do use dewstraps and all of my scopes have built in dew shields. Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

John I don't know if you have one but you may benefit from a dew shield on your scope. I know my Dob had dewing issues with it being open ended. I bought one and it worked really well extending the amount of viewing time considerably before the secondary inevitably dewed up. As my Dob is purely visual I didn't go down the route of dew straps and fancy mirror heaters.

I image with refractors, do use dewstraps and all of my scopes have built in dew shields. Just a thought.

Thanks, Terry, and yes I do have one for when the dew levels are high. Last night was a dry night, so no need for it. I made mine from a sheet of closed cell foam from a camping bedroll and some Velcro strips, very similar to the one on my guide scope.

• Like 2