Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Modified ST102 & 19mm Luminos

Nightspore

I'm hoping to get the ST102 out fairly soon, preferably on a Moonless night.

E3z4rzy.jpg

Weight and balance trials with the Porta II/TL130 combination seem promising with the 19mm Luminos. The Altair dielectric is one of the few twistlocks that holds the Luminos safely. 

133wxNu.jpg

The Luminos aren't half as bad as many would have you believe. I like their overall visual ergonomics and the 19mm seems much less 'squinty' than the 18mm ES equivalent.

IxpyOBr.jpg

OK, there's the EOFB amongst other quirks, but I really like the 30mm field stop, even if the eyepiece does weigh almost as much as a two door Volvo. Although I admit they probably perform better with slower focal ratios (Luminos, not Volvos). 

afmA97v.jpg

This gives 26.3x and just over three arc degrees true field (grey reticule circle above).