Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Mobile phone imaging

GazAstro

PXL_20201016_020750884.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.bddb801637e1e6ad9dad36a5c2f12065.jpg

Thought I'd share this ... my trusty HTC10 died at the weekend - got myself a Pixel 4a.

Woke up at 3am this morning with heartburn so had a quick dabble with the astro mode. Leant the camera on the window and pressed go !

ps. Orion is back ? 

• Like 7

Thanks Mark, it's quite clever as it takes 15 second subs for 4 minutes then stacks them and does a bit of noise reduction on the sky . Need to take it somewhere dark ?

• Like 1

What a glorious sight indeed!! Great photo. I love the simplicity of a phone image. It captures the naked eye view and that will always will be the best view ? 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That's come out pretty well I reckon. 

Just got a new phone myself. Had a Pixel 2 for years was an awesome phone. But went for something different this time. A Sony Xperia 5 ii. Full manual modes available just like a DSLR. Planning on having a go with it at some point. Initial impressions are good. Images aren't as saturated as my Pixel they seem to look more natural. Can't beat a Pixel for a great point and shoot though. 

• Like 1