Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Swapping cameras

Hi, 

I am about to change cameras for an upgrade.  I am going from a ZWO 585 to a ZWO 071 to give me a larger FOV. I believe they have the same 55mm back-focus, so i am hoping i can remove my 585, fit a cut IR/UV filter and then just go with the new 071?

Is anyone able to offer advice for any other things i should be considering when making the change?

I moved away from NINA now and am using ASI Air so i shouldn't have any software concerns to worry about.

I’ve just checked and both cameras have 17.5 mm flange to sensor so a simple unscrew of one camera and attach the other one to your existing spacers will do. The 071 is an APC sized sensor so be careful with your IR/UV cut filter size.

• Like 1

Hi Terry,

Thanks for replying - i ordered a 2" ZWO IR/UV cut filter under the presumption it would fit in the ZWO camera.

My plan B would be to screw the filter in to my reducer flatter  as i think i have put other filters in that too in the past. i presume that as long as the filter is in the imaging train at some point its fine and that it doesn't need to be exactly Infront of the camera sensor?

What does APC size mean please I'm not familiar with that?

APC also known as APS-C is a crop sensor size of 23.6X15.6mm the same size as used in DSLR cameras such as Canon EOS range. Essentially it is a big sensor.

Most telescopes flattener/reducers have an image circle of around 43mm diameter or thereabouts. APS-C easily fits within that.

A lens has the ability to support a certain sensor size to image - the image circle. If the sensor size is too large, it causes “Shading” or “Vignetting”

8 hours ago, Kevin17 said:

screw the filter in to my reducer flatter

Yes that would be the best place to put the 2” filter

You don’t say if it’s a Pro variant 071 camera. The initial 071 came out as a non pro variant which some suffered from some frosting of the window. ZWO released the pro variant with a built in window heater and improved memory shortly after. Should you have a non pro camera might I recommend you fit an external heater (heater kit) if one is not already fitted.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

@MartinS Sorry for not being more specific, it is the 071 Colour Pro camera.

@TerryMcK Thanks for the tips 🙂

Edited by Kevin17
  • Like 2