Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Mount Set Up For SW Mak180

Scopeman

EQ6R Pro with upgraded ADM saddle, pier adapter all sitting on the IOptron TriPier

IMG_20220303_160631039.jpg

IMG_20220124_120230803.jpg

Edited by Scopeman
  • Like 2

That looks like a reassuringly substantial (and expensive) mount-tripod combo. Some of the Synta 180mm Mak's had Schott glass. Although the 2" visual back always confused me. My 235mm SCT has a 2" back. I normally equate 2" eyepieces with rich field. Rich field isn't easy with an f/10 scope even with a reducer. 

reP4JXRl.jpg

XREZzQJl.jpg

42TLMmTl.jpg

As a consequence I don't have many 2" EP's.

Edited by Nightspore

SdObN5dl.jpg

This 'mock Pentax' was bundled with my 80ED. I think they've been bundled with some Synta Mak's. They're not as bad as most people claim. It could be a reversed Kellner.

rcgYdn3l.jpg

It seems too well corrected to be a Kellner though. It's virtually indestructable.

3nTmXWHl.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I have read some good reviews on it, my 180 didn't come with that, some people get the 2" and others like me got a 1.25" ep, bit of a hit and miss affair as to what you get.

One advantage of a 2" visual back is that you can put a decent adapter in it. Preferably one with a compression ring. Better than the basic two screws in most Synta Mak's. I feel safer with a nosepiece undercut with them. Most Sky-Watcher scopes get the bundled MA's.

BeEsu6Vl.jpg

Some of the more expensive refractors were bundled with a 7mm Barsta UWA. I believe these eyepieces are very similar to the TMB clones. I don't care what they say on the degenerate fantasy island and general jackanory ontologically ridiculous alternative narrative of Cloudy Nights. 

OF048MWl.jpg

I still use my UWA's. Oddly I like them for my Mak's.

zu4DVd1l.jpg

I think this twistlock was originally from my Altair Starwave.

Edited by Nightspore

Do you ever order from FLO? I placed an order 2 days ago now, item in stock, paid extra for a faster delivery and it still hasn't even shipped yet! Although they are a good company their delivery lead times leave a lot to be desired compared to other companies. It doesn't matter what service you choose it only applies once it has shipped, so you could pay an extortionate amount for next days delivery and still wait 3-4 days to get it! Ridiculous, RVO, 365, Harrisons all deliver next day if you pay for it without fail!

8 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

One advantage of a 2" visual back is that you can put a decent adapter in it. Preferably one with a compression ring. Better than the basic two screws in most Synta Mak's. I feel safer with a nosepiece undercut with them. Most Sky-Watcher scopes get the bundled MA's.

BeEsu6Vl.jpg

Some of the more expensive refractors were bundled with a 7mm Barsta UWA. I believe these eyepieces are very similar to the TMB clones. I don't care what they say on the degenerate fantasy island and general jackanory ontologically ridiculous alternative narrative of Cloudy Nights. 

OF048MWl.jpg

I still use my UWA's. Oddly I like them for my Mak's.

zu4DVd1l.jpg

I think this twistlock was originally from my Altair Starwave.

On my 127 Mak I have to use a TV 2" screw fit adapter as the thread isn't as long off of the visual back with the electric focuser mounting plate on there and it is the only way I can do it. Electric focuser is a must for high mag observing as you'll appreciate. That TV adapter has a copper band but teo thumbscrews but into that I use a Baader 2" to 1.25" ClickLock adapter for the ep security.

IMG_20220226_083020924.jpg

1 hour ago, Scopeman said:

On my 127 Mak I have to use a TV 2" screw fit adapter as the thread isn't as long off of the visual back with the electric focuser mounting plate on there and it is the only way I can do it. Electric focuser is a must for high mag observing as you'll appreciate. That TV adapter has a copper band but teo thumbscrews but into that I use a Baader 2" to 1.25" ClickLock adapter for the ep security.

IMG_20220226_083020924.jpg

Needs a power source though? I have used Baader helical focusers (BBHS prism, mirror, Amici) for years with my Mak's. Before that I used the WO Amici helical.

MjV8MmE.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

Needs a power source though? I have used Baader helical focusers (BBHS prism, mirror, Amici) for years with my Mak's. Before that I used the WO Amici helical.

MjV8MmE.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

MjV8MmE.jpg

Yes, I have a dedicated PS for the big mount if you are referring to that, or if you mean the electric focuser is runs off of a battery in the small handset. ALthough mine doesn't fit like this but it'll give you an idea....

skywatcher_auto_focuser.jpg

Edited by Scopeman

38 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Yes, I have a dedicated PS for the big mount if you are referring to that, or if you mean the electric focuser is runs off of a battery in the small handset. ALthough mine doesn't fit like this but it'll give you an idea....

skywatcher_auto_focuser.jpg

Oh right. I think I prefer the helical focuser for its simplicity. 

31 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

Oh right. I think I prefer the helical focuser for its simplicity. 

Yes but at hi mag you get wobbles and end up struggling to find sharp focus properly. This simple small handheld control box eliminates all that, no touching of the scope, just focus in with one button and focus out with the other, couldn't be simpler, makes it so much easier.

Edited by Scopeman

10 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Yes but at hi mag you get wobbles and end up struggling to find sharp focus properly. Yhis simple small handheld control box eliminates all that, no touching of the scope, just focus in with one button and focus out with the other, couldn't be simpler, makes it so much easier.

That's a good point. The wobbles can be a bit of a problem. 

Exactly, for the money it is worth a try and if you don't like it I'll buy it off you for what you paid for it, that's a good testament, lol

It might be worth it if I could use both hands properly. For grab and go rigs I go for small, low weight and simple now. I rarely even use heated dew shields now. Although that could be due to global warming.

Obviously your choice but handset is feather light and can be operated easily with one hand using your thumb only on the 2 buttons.

Edited by Scopeman

3 hours ago, Scopeman said:

Do you ever order from FLO? I placed an order 2 days ago now, item in stock, paid extra for a faster delivery and it still hasn't even shipped yet! Although they are a good company their delivery lead times leave a lot to be desired compared to other companies. It doesn't matter what service you choose it only applies once it has shipped, so you could pay an extortionate amount for next days delivery and still wait 3-4 days to get it! Ridiculous, RVO, 365, Harrisons all deliver next day if you pay for it without fail!

I stopped buying from FLO. I wouldn't give them the steam off my urine. I'd rather order from abroad and pay all the import duty.

1 minute ago, Scopeman said:

Obviously your choice but handset is feather light and can be operated easily with one han using your thumb only on the 2 buttons.

It has to be set-up though. It's more junk for me to fiddle with. Plus it also has a lead which is bound to tangle with something. The entire right side of my body is partially paralysed and my leg muscles are beginning to atrophy. A helical focuser's fine.

• Like 1

Lol. I emailed them they didn't bother replying, I left a voicemail this morning and low and behold I then get a dispatched notification! I have got a lot of stuff from them in the past and it isn't the first time they have mucked me about!

15 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Lol. I emailed them they didn't bother replying, I left a voicemail this morning and low and behold I then get a dispatched notification! I have got a lot of stuff from them in the past and it isn't the first time they have mucked me about!

I'd like to leave them a voice mail lol. As long as they support SGL they won't get anything out of me again. One thing they did do a lot which was annoying. I'd pay extra to use a tracked courier instead of the Royal Mail. They still sent it by RM. They also got funny with me when I returned a faulty eyepiece a couple of times. They apologised. You're better off with Altair, RVO and 365. Harrisons are good as well, excellent customer service. I deliberately bought my 72 ED from there rather than FLO. 

Edited by Nightspore

Yes, I dealt with Adam a lot at RVO but no matter what you get from them, no matter how small, they charge £7.50 for courier next day! That's great on big items but too much on smaller stuff.

14 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Yes, I dealt with Adam a lot at RVO but no matter what you get from them, no matter how small, they charge £7.50 for courier next day! That's great on big items but too much on smaller stuff.

Anything's preferable to the Royal Mail.

Yes, I dealt with Adam a lot at RVO but no matter what you get from them, no matter how small, they charge £7.50 for courier next day! That's great on big items but too much on smaller stuff. Royal Mail here is quite good. Where are you based?

Edited by Scopeman

Don't know what happened there, it sent twice, lol, the annoying thing on here is if you send anything you can't delete it and have to ask an Admin!